Layover in PTY on Copa: How Short is Too Short?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by ZZZ, Apr 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ZZZ

ZZZ Active Member

Status Points:
    Searches for info on this came up dry, but apologies if I missed a prior thread on this topic...

I live in Mexico City now, and will soon be traveling MEX-GRU and MEX-BSB with some frequency. I would like to start going through PTY on Copa, as it drastically shortens the trip (esp when I can't fly the MEX-GRU nonstops). Nonetheless, many itineraries through PTY have a 70-minute layover there.

Is 70 minutes enough time to make a connection in PTY on Copa? This strikes me as cutting things _very_ close, but I've never flown through Panama City before -- maybe you don't have to clear customs and immigration there if you are just transiting?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
    -Z

2. RRK

RRK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just traveled on Copa last week from Lima to JFK, with a 55 minute connection in PTY. I was worried about my short connection too. No problems .... in fact the terminal is small and you can reach your connection gate within few
    minutes. I even managed to buy "duty free" with my short connection time and received my duty free items at
    my connection gate.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never missed a connection in PTY. I've had connections as tight as 30 minutes. Of course, always Copa to Copa flights. Not sure if another airline would mess it up. PTY is a pretty easy way to transit, though.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    A 70 minute connection is plenty of time. You'll be able to grab a drink or three in the lounge if you want, too. There is no security nor immigration so long as you stay air-side (and all gates are in the same area). The longest you can walk in the terminal is probably 15 minutes from end to end. It is a VERY easy airport for connections.

5. ZZZ

ZZZ Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to everyone who replied -- this information is extremely useful (and gratifying)!