Layover in MUC

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Singapore Flyer, May 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I posted a question on the airport thread as well....i am booking award flight for wife and two daughters...5/1 from JFK-SIN via MUC on LH and then TG. There is a really long layover in MUC. Is there a hotel in the airport that I can book a room for her to rest and such? There is no way she wants to hang around the airport that long with two kids in tow after a long flight. I appreciate any thoughts/suggestions on this.

Thanks!

jetsetboy likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a Kempinski right in the terminal, on the LH side but AFAIK connected to the other terminal too. It is quite nice and has an indoor pool and IIRC a spa. There's another cheaper hotel within walking distance. Other airport hotels require shuttles, IIRC at 5 Euros per person, including Sheraton and other brands. Some of these should have day rates. If you google, it seems easy to find a list of hotels at MUC, perhaps as a link from the airport website.

wrxmom and Singapore Flyer like this.
  3. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Thanks MSPeconomist! Much appreciated! I'll check it out.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can find it, there's a lot of hotel info for MUC in the SMD3 forum as we overnighted at MUC on the European optional swing. I stayed at the Kempinski, but paid a lot for the privilege. My room was smallish but well equipped and pleasant, in the efficient style of a German four star property. (Think built-in permanent luggage racks.) The hotel had bathrobes and slippers in the room, multilingual TV, etc. The "official" hotel, announced late, was the Sheraton, and a number of others found their own arrangements.

5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Free dayrooms for LH F pax at the Kempinski MUC property as long as you show your BP stub to the FD staff. I made a reservation via e-mail for the Frankfurt property but had to cancel it since I couldn't go on the trip.

http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Arrival-Services

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  6. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Would they allow them to use the lounge if they are only arrived at MUC in Business but flying out on TG later that day? I'll send them an email as well.

Thanks!

7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not for Business only Lufthansa First.

8. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    It may be time to get the Amex Plat then...:)

9. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    When they say for Valid BPs I take that they mean award tkts wont get a room, and only Rev F tkts will?

10. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which lounge were you talking about?

11. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Award tickets count as well since that was what my original reservation was under. It just has to be a same-day ticket.

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    How would that help in this situation?

13. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    I thought there was a PP lounge that can be accessed at MUC. This would at least give her a place to "rest" for a bit if the hotel(s) fall through.

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    How soon is the departure for this trip? Also, have you checked where the PP lounge is located in MUC? AFAIK there are only the LH lounges in the terminal that LH and presumably other *A airlines use.

15. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Departure is in December. Have some time to figure it out (hopefully) or find a better flight ( preferably).

16. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at Novotel for a very cheap rate during SMD3, under $100 if I recall correctly. It is only few bus stops away or 1 train station away with some walking involved. Very nice property. Some people stayed at Kempinsky for a a day rate under $200.

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    NO!

Award F is F for all benefits, same as a regular revenue ticket. The BP doesn't differentiate between award and revenue anyways.

18. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good thing to know

Now Im getting the feeling that LH took all of PMUAS CS people, its nuts imo for LH to give benefits that cost it alot of $$$ (Euros) to those flying on award tkts whom probably never give LH a cent in Rev. I understand if its a Disc F tkt or a HON but if I was running LH no way hosea would anyone flying on an award F tkt be able to ca$h in on all the benefits as if it was a Pd F tkt

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    MileagePlus pays other carriers a negotiated rate for redemptions. It is not revenue-free to the other airlines.

There is a cost to handing out the rewards from the programs. The carriers still generally make money from these programs. I'm not too worried about them. ;)

20. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    The rule for first class lounge is same day LH first, but I would think they would surely be allowed into the business class lounge - both b/c arrival on LH business and I think Thai probably uses LH senator lounge (not sure). Depending on childrens ages and timing of flights lounge might be better since they'd have a bit of moving around room, interesting sights and free food (a soft pretzel ought to keep some children busy for a while - albeit if they are a bit young it could be too messy).

21. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Appreciate the information. We were able to find tickets for the entire group in UA. We'll make another trip through MUC another time.

22. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh....... so sad...... UA instead of LH and TG:(

23. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    tell me about it. at least it is F and we are together. not sure that is a good thing though.