Layover in Bangkok - where would you stay?

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am planning to go to Hua Hin for a week (Hyatt). We will arrive at BKK around midnight on UA and plan to take a car or limo service to Hua Hin the next morning. Is it worth going "into town" for the layover, or would you stay near the airport? (if so, what hotel)

First time visitors to BKK, so we'll spend a few days in Bangkok after the week at the beach. Probably GH Erawan.

2. brinkers
    Original Member

brinkers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given you are going to be in Bangkok on the way back, I would probably stay at the Novotel airport hotel - 10 minute walk, or there is a shuttle bus available.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I am in BKK I usually stay at the Metropolitan, but as you are getting in late and leaving the next day I will second staying at the Novotel Airport. It will be convenient for the next day.

Kalboz and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Depends on how early you want to leave the next day. The Novotel is very convenient to the airport of course, and a nice hotel, though very pricey for what it is and quite sterile. If you just want to crash it's a great option. I rather like waking up on the river, having breakfast out there, and then getting on my way. Since you're not needing to return to the airport in the a.m. I might skip the Novotel and head down to the river. But I can see the argument the other way to just get some immediate sleep. In other words, I would choose a pleasant next morning over immediate sleep.

5. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would agree with Gary and brinkers. Novotel is definitely the most convenient if you have no problem paying for it. I had a similar arrival and an early flight to Phuket and I'm cheap so I just toughed it out on one of the benches for a little bit of nap time. In hindsight, would have been better off getting a cheap hotel with free shuttle as just thinking about that metal bunch brings me back pain.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, all. Looking at the prices, I can get the Novotel for $129 and the Grand Hyatt for $175 (both prepaid). Add to that transfer cost in case of the Hyatt and subtract breakfast (Diamond status) and the Novotel is going to be about $50 cheaper and apparently a lot more convenient to read (just walk from terminal). There's no Gx bonus to be earned at the Hyatt, though they might have their spring promo that's been hinted at on Facebook by the time we're in Thailand. Looks like a classic loyalty vs. price and convenience decision :)

Oh, another option: stay a night at a Holiday Inn for around $70 (+ car/limo service) and earn another credit towards Crack-The-Case.

7. synd
    Original Member

synd Silver Member

Status Points:
    one thing to consider is where are you staying in Hua Hin? if it's the HR there is a shuttle going from the BKK erawan to the HR Hua Hin every day for 500 BHT /person. it's actually a decent mini van, and takes the same time as a car. so you'll end up saving at least 1500 Bht for the trip.

One more thing, if you are at the HR in Hua Hin, there is an offer giving you free transportation if you're paying for 5 or more nights there, not sure if it'll still apply for when you'll be there.

Personally I absolutely adore the GH BKK so definitively use it on the way back.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. Its where the US President stays when visiting. If you find pinhole cameras and holes in walls and ceilings, that would be compliments of the Secret Service.

Kalboz likes this.
  9. synd
    Original Member

synd Silver Member

Status Points:
    didn't know that... oh wait did I fall for it again, like I fell the first time for the digital pictures hanging on my tailor's wall with Bush, Obama, Clinton, etc... ;)

Kalboz likes this.
  10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    As # 7 synd states, you are heading to Hua Hin for a week after all and therefore the Hyatts in BKK and HHN are the best choice for you: loyalty and quality-speaking. You will be saving at least THB 4K (around $135) or for the RT transportation cost which will more than make up for the $50 difference between GHE and the stale Novotel Suvarnabhumi. I have photos of all three hotels at these sets, check 'em out:

Grand Hyatt Erawan: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/sets/72157622489502841/
    Hyatt Regency Hua Hin: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/sets/72157623571140934/
    Novotel Suvarnabhumi: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/sets/72157622489516321/
    The entire Hua Hin Collection is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/collections/72157623540872334/

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks -- I think the convenience and cost savings of the Hyatt shuttle combined with the ability to earn a stay credit towards status have convinced me to stay at the GH Erawan for a night before and several nights after our Hua Hin trip.