LAX to MCO

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by youpaiyou, Oct 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello:

I'm trying to use my miles to fly my wife & I from LAX to MCO in July, 2013. We need to be in FL between the 11 through the 14th. Thus, I was hoping to travel on the 10th and 15th. I've never booked a flight using award miles before. I've already learned a lot. For example, it costs fewer miles to book 2 people separately than together. I've also just learned that many of the seats for award miles aren't available. Does anyone have any advice for me? Should I look to travel to another city and then to Orlando to save miles? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know where you learned this, but it is not the case.

There might be situations where only one low miles award seat is open...but there is no "booking together" surcharge on any domestic carrier. If there are two low miles award seats open, it is the same charge for both.

If one of you has elite status, there might be an advantage to booking together frankly.

marcwint55 and youpaiyou like this.
  3. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. Thank you.

4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is certainly no penalty to book two seats together. As previously mentioned sometimes there is an advantage. Sometimes there is also a disadvantage. If one of you is an elite member and looking for an upgrade, the disadvantage can be that if there is only one upgrade available and there are two on the reservation, they will go to the next single elite member. If one of you is elite, I would check with the airline for their upgrade policy.

Flying to another city will not save you any miles and will only waste some of your time. The only time to do that is if award availability requires it or if you are saving money or doing a mileage run.

youpaiyou likes this.
  5. pyndasky

pyndasky Silver Member

Status Points:
    It may be your travel dates. Summer is a peak period for Orlando due to the kids being out of school and that "Magic Kingdom" place with those surrounding distractions. The limited award seats are probably already filled with "little mermaids", "tiny pirates", and "mouse ear-wearing munchkins". If possible, you might want to try another month or another location, like Martha's Vineyard....

youpaiyou likes this.
  6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I go to MCO several times per year, and although I don't use miles to buy my tickets, I never have to pay more during the summer than during the winter. In fact, I'm paying more right now than I paid during the summer this year. It's a popular place year-round drawing different groups at different times of year.

One of the main reasons I go there so often is that I can get to most parts of the country cheaply from there, thus allowing me to plan a trip to the U.S. in advance, then finalize my specific destinations later based on my needs as the travel dates approach. The steady tourist traffic seems to be what makes it very competitive in spite of the TSA nightmare I suffer there during every trip. There are no short lines unless one is "CLEAR," and I won't invest in that until and unless I am sure that they are going to survive.

Another advantage is that hotels not near the attractions are almost always really cheap through Priceline. Bargains can also be found even near the parks if traffic is off for some reason. I have stayed in some fabulous places there for significant discounts.

brfong and youpaiyou like this.