LAX to Manila with Island Hop (HNL)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by adalnay, Apr 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. adalnay

adalnay Active Member

Status Points:
    Can someone please educate me on how I can include an island hop to HNL (for approx. 2 days) for our trip to LAX-MNL on UA? I assume this should only costs me the same amount of points from LAX-MNL. As you can tell from this question, I am very new to using stop overs. Sorry in advance if the question too remedial.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Book it as a multi-segment trip. It should price correctly, assuming you can find the inventory.

desamo and perryplatypus like this.
  3. adalnay

adalnay Active Member

Status Points:
    Ok I will do that. Thanks!

desamo likes this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks for starting this thread, MNL is on our list to visit and now know that there are these options to MNL.

5. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could also try the "island hopper"
    HNL-MAJ-KWA-PNI-TKK-GUM on the way to MNL

Fight On!

6. jeffrey930

jeffrey930 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know I was also looking at ORD- Manila this December found some availability on United my question is can I cancel the award ticket let say on Oct. or Nov. if we decided not to go? Is there a charge? Will I loss my miles? Newbie Question.

2nd question can I do a stopover in Tokyo? I did try multi-destination on united website but it was charging more miles ORD-Tokyo 32,500 economy then TOKYO-Manila 15K economy. Is this correct? Or can I do a roundtrip to Manila with stop over in Tokyo? I don't see an option online how to do it. This will be my first award booking. I'm still learning this miles and points stuff! Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Refunding points does incur a charge and it varies based on elite status, from $150/passenger to free for some elites. But at least you get your points back.

You can have a stopover basically anywhere along the way so long as you are booking a return trip. On a one-way the award will split at the stopover point and price as two one-way trips. If you book ORD-TYO, TYO-MNL, MNL-ORD it should price out correctly. That said, there have been issues off and on over the years with stopovers in Japan not pricing correctly so that might happen still here. Calling in can sometimes get that fixed.

8. adalnay

adalnay Active Member

Status Points:
  9. jeffrey930

jeffrey930 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks wandering aramean. Can I book an award roundtrip ORD-MANILA with stopover in Tokyo for couple days online? or I have to call united to book the award? Roundtrip cost 65K. If i do a stopover in Tokyo will it cost the same 65K? Thanks again.

10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You only get one stopover on the trip so you can only pick one to stay longer than the connection time of the flight. And that's only if you skip the stop in HNL.
    You should be able to do it online for the same 65K rate. Use the multi-destination search and hope that it works. If it comes out at any other price call it in.

12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point, edited my previous post. I had been looking at a revenue island hopper.

If you really want another stop on the island hopper in addition to HNL, one way to do it (though more expensive) is to book one set of reward tix to HNL, then another to GUM. Or make one half a revenue flight (e.g. pay for the trip to HNL cash, then do an award ticket HNL-GUM).

Basically, you have to throw more money at the problem, where money is either cash or miles.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  13. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's true, it is like a 3 or 4 day a week schedule. I'm not sure how United treats the stopovers on this route or how much they would charge extra for staying a day or two. Typically it would be very expensive to fly to any of these islands as your final destination, but it comes up a lot as a valid routing on some trips to Asia. Direct HNL-GUM is like a 7 hour flight. The island hopper takes something like 14 hours and they will let you off the plane for an hour or two at each place except at KWA because it is an active US military base. There is also a HNL-MAJ-GUM flight but I think that is only on Saturdays and it is a night flight (you don't see much and it stops at MAJ at like 2am).

14. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So many places to visit before my "final" flight and so little time.

Toula likes this.