LAX to Aus to SAT?

Discussion in 'AUS/SAT | Central Texas Area Airports' started by rajuabju, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got a trip coming up shortly from LAX to Aus/Sat.

Any reason why I should fly into/out of one or the other in TX?

I will be spending 1 day/night in Austin, and 2 nights in San Antonio.... but I will need to book roundtrip from LAX to the same airport, doesnt matter which city I'm in first or 2nd.

2. vinyl slider

vinyl slider Active Member

Status Points:
    Two cost considerations:
    1. There can be airfare differences up to a couple hundred dollars, even for flying the same airline, same time, and same aircraft type, so check airfares to both.
    2. Car rental taxes at AUS were 41% last time I rented (which is rare because I live in-between AUS and SAT). So if you're renting a car, SAT may be cheaper.

AUS has longer security lines than SAT, but nothing like the hubs and not a big issue unless you're trying to cut it as close as possible to takeoff.

I fly out of both regularly for business and leisure.

3. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Renting a car at AUS can indeed be an extremely expensive adventure. And I see airfare out of SAT cheaper regularly as vinyl slider pointed out. But other than that, either airport is fine. Both have a CO President's Club and AUS has an AA club as well. I'd say cost wins in the end.