LAX - Star Alliance First Class Lounge (TBIT). Questions?

Discussion in 'LAX/SNA/LGB/BUR | Los Angeles Area Airports' started by miloki, May 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, my understanding is that there is no First Class Lufthansa lounge at LAX, only the Star Alliance lounge, which by many accounts I've found seems to suck! All of the iformation I've been able to find, though, has been old, like from 2006. Has anyone flown out of LAX and used the Star Alliance 1st Class lounge RECENTLY? I'm hoping that it has improved since people last reviewed it!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes I've used it a lot during the last year when flying SQ. IIRC it's totally new since the TBIT renovation a few years ago and very different from the earlier TBIT lounges or the temporary lounge in the shed during the construction work.

The Star A lounge is located toward the left of the center section of th terminal (in the direction you face as a departing passenger who has come through security) on the fourth (top) floor. IIRC there's only one elevator, but I've never had to wait much. I think the SkyTeam joint lounge is just below. There are agents from different *A carriers when you enter. In the "lobby" area there are a few periodical and airline literature shelves. The reception desk has containers of wrapped chocolate mints, maybe other snacks. You're directed to either the FC or business class side. On the FC side, the receptionist will come to tell you personally when it's time to go to the gate, usually IME a first and second call. (When I've peaked, the business class side has been crowded. Also, it seems dark as I don't think it has any windows. Some seats are a few steps above the main floor. I think there's a bar.)

The FC side has a long wall of floor to ceiling windows that currently face a construction zone in front of taxiways and runways. There are about a half dozen spacious seating areas along the windows, each with comfortable modern black leather seating for four and glass tables. With one exception, I've always had one of these areas totally to myself, so there's lots of room to spread out your carry ons. There are about four similar seating areas back from the windows, near a sort of glass partition, I think with more space as I tend to see families sitting there. On the other side of the partition are some single lounge chairs with little tables that would be ideal for placing phone calls. There's a small business center room with cubicles (not very private) and a PC or two, I think perhaps a fax/printer, but I'm not sure. There might also be a small conference room tucked in next to the business center room. I don't think the lounge has a TV or if it does, it's been on mute. The overall atmosphere is very quiet and civilized.

There's an inverse L-shaped area for self-serve food and drinks. Refrigerators have small bottles of Perrier and evian, among other things. I haven't been very impressed with the wine and sparkling wine (I'm not sure whether it's French champagne or not, certainly not a highly regarded label) and I've never explored the hard alcohol and beer here (I think I remember Heineken cans). The food consists of a wide and changing variety of small cold appetizers in their own separate containers, usually including some cut fresh fruit and pretty nice cheese. I've liked what I've sampled, although I wouldn't rave about the food. I also remember some small bags of decent potato chips. Around the corner in the hot area, there's been a soup of the day and some hot Asian appetizers such as spring rolls. I've never tried the hot food or even paid much attention to it. They must also have coffee and tea, but I'm not sure; I think I saw a fancy coffee/espresso machine.

If you go through the unmarked door near the cold food, you find yourself in a service hallway with lots of windows. People tend to pace here on their cell phones. A row of small rooms are showers (some usually out of order for renovations, it seems) and handicapped rest rooms. The shower rooms are pretty nice (but not as nice as in SQ FC/TPR in SIN or the ANA IFC/suites lounge in NRT) and contain toilets and sinks. Business class passengers enter the service hallway from the opposite end. I used the shower once and don't remember much about the shower amenity kit. I still don't understand how to get one's name on the shower list if that is necessary.

sobore and miloki like this.
  3. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the great info! Now I'm dying to know what's behind that unmarked door! :)

savydog and MSPeconomist like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been completed. (I posted it to save the material when I realized how long my lounge review was becoming.)

savydog and miloki like this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The F lounge at LAX is fine- functional and quiet- nothing to get excited about but fine. Checkin T-90, stop by for a quick coffee or email, and then head to the plane and you will be OK- I certainly wouldn't adjust my agenda to be super early here. On my last departure with LH, I left from Beverly Hills area 2.5 hours prior to departure time, stopped to get fuel followed by rental car return to Hertz, caught the bus, checked in, and was in the lounge ~80 minutes prior to departure at this point as there was a bit of queue at security (the right side of security was closed- only the left was open).

As noted in the good coverage report of MSPeconomist- the little door leads to a hallway with a few people pacing on their blackberry and some broken showers (although quite clean and perfectly OK restrooms).

WIFI is free (I think there is a code to login they give you at the desk).

savydog and miloki like this.
  6. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much for this. The website doesn't mention Wifi at all, and it's one of the main perks for me! :)

savydog likes this.
  7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have a fun flight- the best part of the LAX airport is to know you are departing soon- wonderful city however very lame airport.

savydog likes this.
  8. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

savydog, miloki and MSPeconomist like this.
  9. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    No amenity kits in *A lounge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I entered the lounge, and the staff checked my BP, I told her that I wanted to have shower. She made a call to shower attendant. Then she led the way to go to the shower area. I noticed that that the attendant wrote down the name and the shower room number in the book on the desk shown in picture above.

savydog likes this.
  10. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    What happened to you at the lounge MSPeconomist? When you enter the F lounge from the reception area, the tv is on the wall there above the rack of newspapers and magazines. :D

[​IMG]

MSPeconomist likes this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I'm just not a TV person. I think it's been on mute/closed caption when I've been in the lounge.

13. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    These were spotted when I was catching SQ11.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MSPeconomist likes this.
  14. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
  15. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much! These pictures are awesome!

MSPeconomist likes this.
  16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great pictures.

17. Open Fly
    Original Member

Open Fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    The wifi wasn't that great when I used to go through there a few years back but you could also connect to the skyteam wifi (password was easy to figure out) was much better!

The food was not that great either but they did have a good selection of Japaneese beers.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  18. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seriously, it was easy to figure out the password?

MSPeconomist likes this.
  19. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too bad, my picture below is blurry... otherwise you can read the labels of the beers available at the lounge.

[​IMG]

MSPeconomist likes this.
  20. Open Fly
    Original Member

Open Fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I can't remember what it was, but it was related to the wireless router name that showed up.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  21. mariyonaclark

mariyonaclark New Member

Status Points:
    According to my view, The Star A lounge is located toward the left of the center section of the terminal (in the direction you face as a departing passenger who has come through security) on the fourth (top) floor. IIRC there's only one elevator, but I've never had to wait much. I think the SkyTeam joint lounge is just below. Please produce some more attachments about the topic for view detail information.

Eames Lounge Chair
    Eames Lounge Chair Ottoman

22. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your view is correct.

The Star lounge is on the fourth floor.
    The SkyTeam lounge is on the third floor.

Do remember to eat prior to clearing security as post-security it is either snacks in the lounge or starve basically. Atrocious for an "international" airport.