LAX-SJU??

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by basiface, Feb 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did this route get cancelled? If so that sucks :( I'm planning my vacation in November and I've taken the flight before, but now I can't find it. That was the only non-stop option to San Juan from the west coast. Plus it was a red eye...nothing like going to sleep in Cali and waking up in Puerto Rico!

2. Robt760

Robt760 Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to the AA rep I spoke with, the flight was cancelled in Oct 2011. For a few years it was seasonal, and only Fri-Mon. The main purpose was to serve cruise ship passengers boarding in SJU. I'm pretty sure AA inherited the flight from TWA days, as they used to run that flight N/S.

TheBeerHunter and basiface like this.
  3. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'm one of those cruise ship people, lol. Guess I'll be connecting in DFW or MIA. Guess that L.A. hub's main purpose is for crossing the pacific.

4. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was a 763 at one point, too.

5. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really? That would have been nice. I've never seen any airline fly a heavy into there. Figured that old airport didn't have the gate space to accommodate them, because I know they have the rwy length.

6. 747

747 Active Member

Status Points:
    The airport gets 777 flights from BA twice a week.

In the early days when AA had the 747's they ran it on the JFK to SJU route.
    Piano bar in coach !!!

It was replaced with the great DC-10 then the Airbus and now.......the 737 :(

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  7. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was a route I spent a lot of time on when I first earned EXP status. Sad to see it go...although, it was a 757 every time I was on it, the F I hate the most on AA!

8. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA flew 763s regularly from ORD at one point, too. I don't think gate space was an issue, as I flew an AA 777 from SJU-JFK when the inbound plane leaving JFK went inopp. I can't recall if it was supposed to be a 763 or 757, though.