LAX Renaissance Review - Feb 1-4 2011 Stay

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by SkiAdcock, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had a free Cat 4 certificate to use, so picked this property for a 1-night stay since I was in LA for an awards show & could take the hotel shuttle to LAX the next morning. Due to ORD being closed for 2 days due to the blizzard, ended up extending the stay to include 2 paid nights.

The Renaissance is a nice property. Much better IMO than the tired Marriott around the corner. Lobby area quite lovely.

Checked in; staff was quite friendly. Asked what I would like as a Platinum amenity without prompting. When I asked if I had a nice room (although I wasn't expecting much being on award stay), they said they had upgraded me to a suite.

Nice suite overlooking runway 25R (did not hear plane noise). 2 flat screen tvs, one in bedroom & one in living area. Nice size empty minibar, so that you can fill it with stuff yourself or order from the shop downstairs or room service. I went to my favorite gourmet grocery store once I extended my stay, and stocked up there on munchies/drinkies. Aveda toiletries. Bathrobes in closet, along with room safe. Fancy schmancy alarm clock w/ lots of options. I did think the fan next to the bed was a bit noisy, but others might not notice.

Internet is free for Gold & Plats. You accept the charges, but they're taken off your bill before checkout.

I had a car for the first 2 days. Parking is pricey: $25 for self-park & $32 for valet park. Just call down 5 minutes before you need the car & they'll have it ready if you do the valet park.

Hotel shuttle to LAX runs every 15-20 minutes. I believe it's shared w/ the Marriott.

Since I was there during the week, the exec lounge was open. Again really friendly staff. I saw people using their laptops so assume there was wifi in the lounge. Lounge is a nice size. Mixture of tables & near the telly, couch and stuffed chairs. Actually has a 2nd lower level, which basically has 2 computer terminals for printing out boarding passes. I did notice one of the terminals had such programs as Word, so probably can be used for stuff like that as well. Newpapers are on a shelf to the left of the television.

Brekkie in the morning included such things as bagels, english muffins, toast, pastries, muffins, hot oatmeal, cereals, fresh fruit such as strawberries, pineapple, fresh squeezed oj, grapefruit juice, etc. In addition, there was one hot entree item which varied daily. First day looked like eggs benedict. 2nd day cheesy scrambled eggs. Also coffee, tea, etc. There's also a cooler that has sodas and bottled water.

I think mid-day they put out cookies etc.

I went once to the evening offerings. A great (yum) baked brie that was encased in a pastry thing w/ fruit, a hot item such as turkey stuffed w/ cranberries, granny smith apples, tortilla chips and salsa, individual servings of veggies in a small glass, along w/ ranch dressing if needed, as well as indivual small plates w/ 3 types of cheeses, a fruit, and crackers. I think there were desserts later. There is a full (paid) bar with mixed drinks, beer, wine (2 types - regular & exclusive; dif price points), as well as the coffee, soda, etc.

With O'Hare being closed I asked to extend my stay, and it wasn't a problem. I didn't need to check in-out. Check-out was easy; the bill was accurate.

I did not use the health club, bar or restaurant on-site so I can't address those. There is a gift shop on the ground floor. I also believe that wireless is available in the lobby area. There is a i-net terminal & printer around the corner from the front desk that can be used to print out boarding passes, if someone is staying there & doesn't have access to the exec lounge.

All in all, I had a nice stay & would definitely stay at this property again. Rates on the weekend are a lot less than during the week. Also, it participates in Marriott's EEO/BOGO program.

Cheers.

2. CrazyMonkey
    Original Member

CrazyMonkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm....I may give the Ren a try next time as I usually stay at the LAX Marriott.

Thanks for the scoop....

3. It sounds like you had a lovely stay - thanks for the report! No idea what it will be like as a lowly Silver status, but I'll definitely keep this property in mind when I need someplace to stay at/near LAX. :)

4. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ren is my place to stay at LAX. Sharon is correct in her assessment. Very good hotel and staff

5. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Three other comments about the Ren LAX.

1) I noticed last night that the lounge food & dessert selection seemed pared down from what it was a couple of weeks ago. I was a bit late for hors d'oervs (don't care for the stuffed salmon anyway), but def. not late for dessert.

2) depending on who from housekeeping services your room, you may or may not get the body lotion replenished each day. Not a huge issue, and easily resolved, but a nit.

3) The newspaper selection today was barren. I mean about 4 copies of McNews on a table on the 10th floor, no papers in the lounge at all, and no paper at my door.

Minor nits, and my experiences there are great (it's my "home" in LA) with superb staff that remember frequent visitors.

6. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will give the Renaissance a try this weekend instead of the Marriott.

7. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed quite a few nights in the Renaissance LAX during 2009 and 2010, and it's one of the better airport hotels out there. As a Marriott Rewards Platinum I was only upgraded to a suite once, but I don't believe they have that many suites, and most of my stays were for one night before flying home early on a Friday morning, so it wasn't a big deal. The lounge at the Renaissance was always well stocked in the evenings and mornings, and the staff was consistently outstanding. I also appreciated the fact that the lower level of the concierge lounge has a couple of computer terminals and printers for printing boarding passes.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet – if you're ever waiting at the terminal for the shuttle bus to the Renaissance, if a bus for the Four Points by Sheraton arrives before the Marriott/Renaissance bus has, you can take the Four Points bus and get off at that hotel. It is next door to the Renaissance and it takes no more than a minute to walk from that hotel's front door to the Renaissance. The Four Points is a smaller hotel, and the buses for it often aren't as crowded.

8. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Sharon - we're staying there in March on a Cat. 4 free night, before taking off on a trip the next day. I just picked the Ren. without knowing/comparing it to the Marriott, so I am glad I did. Sounds like it will be a comfortable stay, and for once, we are not leaving early in the a.m that we miss even the exec. lounge breakfast - this time we'll have time for it. Thanks for taking the time for the report.

9. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    only addition here is that you don't need to pay for parking, just park on 98th street (or is it 96th) which is the street that the entrance to the parking garage is on.. NEVER ever had any issues; only possible problem is the two hour window for street sweeping once a week during the middle of the day

parking is free; I've never paid for parking at this property, EVER

10. LoyaltyLobby
    Original Member

LoyaltyLobby Active Member

Status Points:
    I have spent more than 100 nights this hotel over the years but rarely anymore. The nearby Sheraton is better upgrade and facility wise. This is still, however, the best Marriott chain option.

They pared down quite a bit of the lounge offerings few years back when the hotel changed ownership. Most of the employees also left at that time.

They do have quite a few suites and I got one almost every time I stayed at the hotel.

I have also never paid for the parking at this property. Some of the corporate rates include self parking. As note there is plenty of free self parking on the street next to the hotel.

travelingmore likes this.
  11. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree on the Sheraton Gateway. It is my preferred property now. the Renaissance was my gold standard at LAX up until about 2 years ago. Once Marriott instituted the no favors no waivers policy; don't be better than the absolute minimum you have to be and of course closing of the CL on the weekends, factored in with the we don't have to give you breakfast on the weekend, it becomes a no brainer that the sheraton is a heads up better property. CL open 7 days a week, this plat gets a suite as often if not more than at the Renaissance (as a MR Plat). My only beef with the Sheraton (vs the renaissance) is that check in sometimes can be long and the parking issue in that back lot kind of is a PITA.

12. My big issues with both the Marriott and REN LAX is the shuttle which many times passes me by beause it is full and I have to wait sometimes in excess of 20 minutes for a Shuttle to either property.

Dan

travelingmore likes this.
  13. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a Marriott Gold, I have always ended up in large suites at this hotel even if having multiple rooms booked under my name, including on Priceline stays.

I do use street parking a short walk from the hotel's main entrance but I seem to find that stretch of road to be somewhat quiet and even a little bit sketchy at times. I certainly wouldn't leave anything valuable in my car when street parking a car there to avoid the hotel parking fees.

14. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't even wait anymore

I use the first one to come whether it be the Marriott/Ren shuttle, the budget shuttle or the 4 points shuttle

first one to come I'm on

the only difficulty is that the car rental shuttles are at the next island up so you have to see the Budget shuttle coming from a distance to run over to get it

re the street parking; well when do you ever leave valuables in your car at a hotel, thats common sense anyway

15. I did not realize that the Budget Rent-A-Car shuttle stopped near the REN/Marriott, thanks for the tip!

Dan

16. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Directly across the street
    don't forget the 4 points shuttle is next door, literally the next building too

17. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I first stayed here just after its opening as a Ramada Renaissance (before the Stouffer-Ren merger and subsequent Marriott purchase). My last stay was about 8 months ago, and I think that the rooms and public areas have been reasonably well-maintained over the years.

A couple of notes for casual eating outside the hotel: There is a Burger King directly across the street from the hotel's front entrance. And more importantly, the (in)famous Sepulveda Blvd. In-N-Out Burger is walkable - on my last stay, I took the hotel shuttle back to LAX and then the Parking Spot shuttle to Im-N-Out. Then, with a 3x2 and animal-style fries "put safely away" ;), I walked back to the Ren; it took 26 minutes, at a leisurely, strolling pace.

18. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well one could always walk over to the Four Points for a maginificent but reasonably priced bar with a great selection of beers and decent and reasonably priced pub fare

19. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    As Marriott Gold, I've stayed here but have always been told no upgrades were available. Still prefer it over Marriott LAX. Good to know about 4pts and car rental shuttles.

20. wanderlust (VFT)
    Original Member

wanderlust (VFT) Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanx Sharon, that matches my experiences after SMDII in Nov. Let me point out again, that "airport view" rooms are perfect for spotting and (like mentioned above) having "Sepulveda Blvd. In-N-Out Burger" in walking distance definitely is an advantage...

21. cityfishing
    Original Member

cityfishing Silver Member

Status Points:
    Staying at the Ren in April on a Cat 1-4 cert. Thanks for the shuttle tips.

22. i usually wind up with the runway view rooms. great, especially when the qantas 380 lands - what a bird

i sometimes get a cheaper rate here than at the marriott

23. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed there this week, for our award night - very nice hotel and a good experience. Attractive lobby, and we were greeted by the concierge and walked to the check in desk. As Platinum, we were offered both the point amenity and a food option, as they said "for you today, I can give you both"... a nice treat. We were upgraded to a king suite - a comfortable room that was quiet. Glad to have an empty refrigerator, not a mini bar, but they had a sign saying they can stock it if we wished. Lounge fare for breakfast was great - lots of fresh fruit, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, and an egg/breakfast sandwich item. Staff here and at front desk were friendly.
    The quirks: Internet access in the room was slow and disconnected often - but it worked okay in the Club Lounge, so, who knows why. And, no soap dish on the sink - where to put the soap bar? Overall, a nice stay and we would stay there again.