LAX PC Closed for Renovations April 4-25

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Golfingboy, Apr 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was greeted with a memo at check-in notifying me that the LAX President's Club will be closed from April 4 to 25 while the club undergoes renovations...

I guess it is one of the first club that will be rebranded as United Club and I will be sure to check it out and post some pictures when I am flying out on the 28th... Hopefully the dingy bathroom will be the primary focus of the renovation....

Kahlua is still not free in the RCC and I was looking forward to that in the PC :mad:

2. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    As FYI for those who are flying the CO redeyes, the RCC closes at 11pm, not at 12:45am like the PC...

I had at least expected they would at least modify the hours a bit, but guess that ain't happening :(

I feel sorry for the passengers who are flying on the 1:30am LAX-IAH flight...

Flyer1976 likes this.
  3. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received an e-mail from CO about this last week. The e-mail stated that the PC would be closed for "airport maintenance," which can mean a lot of things........but hopefully you are correct about the bathrooms. I'll be flying CO next week, and have resigned myself to having to trek from the RCC to my gate -- worth it if we get spiffy new bathrooms!

Golfingboy likes this.
  4. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a conversation with the lovely matrons there on the night of 4/3... the club will only be closing for HVAC work, according to them.

I doubt they are rebranding the club as IMHO they will no longer have a presence in T6 after teh merger.

5. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know, UA will be retaining gates in T6, though the actual gate locations will vary due to the AS renovation. Going forward, I believe UA will have 60-65 (61/63/65 from DL) at Terminal 6, giving up CO/UA's current space in the rotunda.

I think this should at least warrant retention of a lounge in T6. The T7 connector is a long walk!

6. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    The LAX PC bathroom is worse than some roadside gas station facilities. With SMI/J being so focused on "clean" I'm surprised it hasn't been cleaned up already.

7. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    ? I don't think the bathrooms in the LAX RCC are that bad..
    I've seen worse RCC bathrooms..

8. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I think the LAX RCC (Red Carpet Club) bathrooms are fine.

I (and most of the other postings in the thread) was talking about the LAX PC (Presidents Club).

9. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, thats my bad :oops:

10. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    At LAX last night, maintenance guys were doing a bunch of work along the ceiling of the gate areas nearby the PC as well (and had cordoned off at least one of the gates).

11. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dang. Sounds like the "airport maintenance" was not motivated by bathrooms which look like they have not been renovated since the Reagan Administration. :rolleyes:

12. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    The men's LAX RCC restroom is no worse than the men's LAX PC restroom, but the RCC is no prize either when all the stalls are filled with people taking dumps during peak hours.

13. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm. While I'm sure people might have different perspectives of what "clean" means, I don't think it is debatable that the men's restroom at LAX RCC is bigger, brighter and newer than the dingy LAX PC men's restroom.

OK, so people are using the RCC for it's purpose. Yeah, that is a big strike against it. :rolleyes:

Wonder if the LAX PC stalls are empty because people don't like taking dumps there for fear of health issues

14. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, couldn't help but LOL at this.

15. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure what HVAC work was done, because the LAX PC is still as stuffy as it was before the closure. Of course it could be related to the large number of families in the club with kids that are jacked up on candy and sugar, running around and bouncing up and down.

And for those keeping track of the restroom situation, it remains dingy.

Hopefully all these issues (and the really slow WiFi speed) will be addressed when it gets rebranded as a United Club.

16. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was at the LAX PC yesterday, and it looked exactly the same to me. The bathrooms are still retro.

17. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully it gets rebranded as a United Club (and not closed). I haven't seen any information either way. Although, I suppose the fact that it hasn't gone away yet like other duplicate PCs is a positive sign.

18. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Disappointed to hear that nothing was done to the club... Apparently it must have something to do with the T6 renovations with Alaska Airlines and the club had to be closed to do certain tasks... IMO, this was and still is a great time to renovate the PC and rebrand it into United Club...

Generally speaking, at hubs there are one lounge in every terminal that the airline has a significant operation... It is not always the case, but that is the general expectation... Since LAX is a hub, I'd expect the merged carrier will have a club in T7 and T6... In IAH CO has a club in every terminal they operate out from, same goes for EWR, and the same goes for ORD, IAD, SFO, etc... The same trend can be applied over to DL, US, and many major foreign carriers...

If UA decides to not have a lounge in T6 at LAX where they will utilize at least several gates on a regular basis, and then I will write that down as one of the stupidest decisions of the merger... One lounge for three terminals :eek:

19. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you slightly misunderstand me. I would love for there to be an airline club in every terminal/concourse at their hubs that they regularly use, including having a United Club in LAX T6. PMCO has done a better job of putting more clubs in at their hubs, for sure. PMUA hasn't as much (see T8 in LAX, the A concourse at IAD). Or US in the E concourse at CLT. Or DL at LAX T6.

20. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of lounges, did the IFL move from T8 to T7? I saw a sign by gates 72/73 to take the elevator to an IFL but didn't have time to investigate.

21. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    We are talking about LAX right? T8 has never had a lounge. It used to be the Shuttle wing and then turned into UX gates when they closed the Commuter Terminal (which now AA Eagle is using). Some of the Airbus flights now arrive/leave out of T8 now too.

But T7 has always had the RCC and the IFL.

22. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification. I thought I had seen an IFL in LAX T8 near gate 80 and thought "what's that doing here?" But it's been ages since I've been in T8 so I could easily be mistaken.

23. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    FWIF, I was in the T6 PC yesterday and couldn't see any updates / changes. Maybe next time...

theBOAT

24. I asked on my last trip through and the agent told me that the HVAC work not specific to club, but required the club to be closed while technicians preformed whatever work needed to be done to the system.

Dan

25. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's really a shame that the "down time" was not used to make cosmetic improvements to the PC.