LAX OW lounge

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by TRYING2BPLAT, Aug 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    travelling on CX coach but AA EXP during checkin I asked if they would allow me to take my wife n son to the lounge n they told me that my lounge pass will let me bring 2 guests, got to the lounge n informed that I am only allowed 1 and I was told to pick either my wife or my 6 yrs old son, so I beg for consideration but the flr person
    not the door attendant refused to let me bring both no matter how much I reason out,his excuse is the lounge is full so my wife back down n decided just to wait for us and I went in and the place was 80% empty. what a rude flr person he
    just want to stand ground n didnt want to bend. he keep insisting that the chkin counter dont know the rule about the lounge,yet he is also wearing cx uniform, is it my fault if they dont train their staff correctly?am I being unreasonable to bring my 6yr old son with my wife on the lounge? I think the flr guy just have an ego thinking that they r the last word on the flr. I think it is very inconsiderate even to suggest to pick between my son or wife to bring in.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Technically the lounge staff was correct - OW lounge access rules state an Emerald status passenger can only bring in one guest. There are no exceptions noted about small children.

Some lounge staff have been known to turn a blind eye to small children but its certainly not something to count on.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. Hopefully as LAX TBIT improves you'll have a few more options to enjoy with your family that won't require you to access the lounge, as this is the rule and you'll run into the same issue any time your travel.

Also: what is an "FLR" person?

Travelsavant likes this.
  3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Travelsavant likes this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    As does the OneWorld website, which is probably more relevant since this is not a CX lounge. http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

This is an important reminder for Americans who are used to being able to bring their entire family into the lounge. While indeed I've never been turned away with my family in a non-US lounge as the OP was, such treatment appears to be within the letter of the rules.

For two adults and one child, it seems like a non-issue. But, then what if someone has four or five kids...and what about grandparents. I could see one sapphire member traveling in Y turn up with a delegation of ten people and try to access the lounge. That would be a problem.

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in the LAX OW lounge last week of May before heading off to SYD and it was packed. Didn't really clear out until they called the A380 to SYD (I was on the 747 an hour later). Ordinarily I'll stay over in the Flagship Lounge at T4 and head over about an hour before departure, but this time I only had about an hour connection and headed straight to TBIT. I had one of the seats for two at the small cocktail tables, not an ideal spot for me as all the comfortable seats were taken. Thinking back, I don't think there was anywhere for a party of 3 to sit until the A380 passengers cleared out.

I can see why they might strictly enforce the one guest rule. If you were connecting from an AA flight, the workaround would have been to stay in T4 and at least use the FL/AC there until closer to departure, but then if you're not an AC member (that allows two guests or immediate family) you're probably going to have the same issue as to whether they'll allow the extra guest.

7. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Obviously they wouldn't be happy with the solution I'm about to propose. But it could have been fun to try just to see what they'd do. I'm wondering if as a OWE you could have guested one of your guests into the J lounge, then guested your other guest into the F lounge. Then you and your guest could have walked out of the F lounge at the back towards the showers and joined your other guest in the J lounge.

8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP was in economy. The dragons wouldn't have allowed guesting into both lounges.

If they were ow-e but flying in j, then this would work. (Using the back door by the showers.) Frankly, they often leave the kitchen doors open. I've seen people "upgrade" through that way, too. ;)