LAX-ORD-BRU.... 37 minute connection time... would you do it?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by hungarianhc, Aug 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. hungarianhc
    Original Member

hungarianhc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the routing... I like the chance of my SWU clearing... I like the short total travel time, and I like the time it gets me into BRU to rest before my first meeting...

37 minutes in ORD scares me a bit, but they're selling it as a valid routing. Thoughts? If I misconnect, I'll likely be in the Y fare bucket which would give my SWU a good chance of clearing on the next flight.

For those curious, the flights i'm looking at is UA 942 to UA 972... on Sunday, Sept 25. After looking on EF, there doesn't look like another option that day if I miss 972, except for the flight to MUC then connecting to BRU, but that flight is like 9 minutes later.... hmmmmmm.... thoughts?

Kevincm likes this.
  2. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you want the ORD-BRU on the 763, there's an earlier LAX-ORD that makes a 90-minute connection in ORD.

In fact, the earlier LAX-ORD is on a 757 with NF space, so that would clear immediately.

That's what I'd book.

3. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with Hannaman. I'd take UA831 LAX-ORD, which gives you an extra hour to make UA972, same price, and wide open F.

EDIT: Maybe even UA442 which departs LAX at 9am and gives you 3 hours at ORD before your connecting flight to BRU.

OneSweetWorld and Kevincm like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    No way I'd book that unless it is absolutely the only option available or if I didn't really care if I missed the flight. In that you have a meeting the next morning it would seem that missing the flight would be a problem.

Odds are you'd still make it, but you have to be willing to accept the fallout if you don't.

5. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are checking bags, even if you make the connection, be prepared to not see your bags when you arrive in BRU.

Flyer1976 and Kevincm like this.
  6. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very risky in my book, even without upgrades.

I wouldn't expect to see my baggage at BRU as well.

Give yourself the extra hour for your own sanity....

7. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Given ORD somewhat weather issues and frequent congestion issues, I'd definitely take an earlier flight from LAX to ORD to give yourself the extra hour of connection time.

Additionally, even if the flight with the 37 minute connection time got in as scheduled, there's a chance you could end up arriving at one end of the B concourse and then have to rush to the C concourse, which can take a good 10 to 15 minutes to do.

8. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, I wouldn't do it.

9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just deplaning can take 37 minutes... :)

Flyer1976 and JLSocks like this.
  10. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with everyone else, especially given the available earlier alternative. Could you get off the plane at C28 and make it to B1 in 27 minutes (remember, doors close 10 minutes before departure)? Maybe, if you were in training for the Olympics!

EX-LAX likes this.
  11. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flying is stressful enough without adding additional worry and concern to the mix.
    The first flight out in the morning is almost always on time, and the need to ponder for the next 5 weeks whether you're going to safely connect is an option that I would definitely omit from this scenario.