LAX-MEL 787-900 service

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by meFIRST, May 18, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am considering booking a ticket. My hesitation is

- What if UA switches this (post launch date) to MEL-SYD-LAX?
    [ this adds a stop to this route, and therefore changes my travel experience. In this case, I would want a refund, because I would rather then fly QF's MEL-LAX service.}

I am not a lawyer, but materially, there is a difference between MEL-SYD-LAX and MEL-LAX. 1 stop and longer travel times.

- UA switches this from a 787-900 to 777.

In the past, I was able to get a refund when UA changed planes for JFK-LAX from ps to non ps.

Could I get a refund in both cases?

2. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the concern is aircraft type then qf doesnt operate the 787 on that route.

If it is a routing issue, then you may be just picking the fly sh$t out of the pepper...it is the same aircraft with a short stop in sydney

I don't see how that can detract from your travel experience enough to be concerned about it

Flyer1976 likes this.
  3. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would change your arrival time in LAX by more than 30 min so I'm 99% sure you could CXL without penalty.

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm currently booked on the MEL-LAX in November and I think UA will iron out the kinks by then.

If there's a significant schedule change then you can rebook or cancel without penalty.

meFIRST likes this.
  5. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    The flight I am considering is in late october, a few days after the inaugural. If the flight is not on a 787-900 and not non stop, I want my money back lol. Thanks for the feedback.

6. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its not a about a 787, rather about changing planes in SYD vs flying non stop. The last time I did that, having to go through the whole US airline security drill overseas twice is beyond annoying.

I can barely tolerate the DXB-DOH UA flights, overzealous security eager to prove a point. The ozzies are no exception.

There is a big difference in journey quality getting on a plane and never having to get off and fly onward to the US vs getting off in Sydney and having to endure contractors masquerading as smurfs.

That's essentially what UA is selling yes? A non stop flight to LA.....
    If not QF offers that option.

Last edited: May 19, 2014