LAX-JFK (and vice-versa) Upgrades

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Captain Oveur, Aug 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    New to AA (EXP challenge), so please forgive the n00bie question.

Do the complimentary EXP upgrades include LAX-JFK? (On UA p.s. service they do not, hence the question.

And if they do, is this a hard EXP upgrade to get?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You can upgrade Y to J on this route, and depending on when you go it can be difficult to very difficult. Not impossible if you pick a good day (low traffic like Sundays, Wednesdays, etc) or book well in advance. By no means a guaranteed upgrade though.

gamecock likes this.
  3. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I talked to an EXP in the LAX AC back in January who flew LAX-JFK on a Saturday night redeye and missed their EXP upgrade (I was flying LAX-BOS and wasn't anything yet, not even gold! :eek:) . As much as anything, that may have been some EXPs using SWUs before they expired, but I would think a Saturday night redeye is a relatively low elite flight. You will definitely want to book well in advance for the best shot. The one time I've flown the route was a Wednesday JFK-LAX on 181 (apparently one of the better timed flights from JFK) and the UG list at the gate was 20+ deep, and I wasn't even on it as a PLT! (Currently EXP, really need to fill out my signature line here)

4. folex386

folex386 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I've only done JFK-LAX twice and the first time I was a gold and the agent just laughed at me :( and said there's no shot. The last time I was PLAT on a Saturday evening flight and cleared no problem.

5. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I have to disagree with this. Overall, for an EXP, this route can be easy to sometimes difficult. Also, I wouldn't call Sunday a low traffic day on this route. In all of my years of flying this route, only once, and that was this year did I sweat an upgrade. Wound up doing a CFC via SAN. More on that below.

Departing from LAX you want to avoid the early morning flight(s) that make European connections out of JFK possible. The 3PM and 4PM are easy upgrades.

Out of JFK you want to avoid the early afternoon flights that have connecting traffic from Europe. I always take the late afternoon to early evening flights and have never had a problem except for that one time earlier this year. I should have know better, it was during the TV network's upfronts so lots of celebs and executives flying back and forth. Upfronts (couple of weeks in the spring) is the only time of the year that I am aware of where the upgrade situation can get truly iffy.

As always, check the seat map and/or EF before booking. While an empty seat does not mean the seat is unsold, an occupied seat does mean the seat is occupied. No point in booking any flight with few available seats and then sweating the upgrade.

The OP's avatar almost discouraged me from participating in this thread.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That's why most things are YMMV with regards to these things. Not everyone can travel outside peaks times, etc. Your mileage has been much better than others, others not so lucky. ;) Admittedly my experience with upgrading transcon is very limited and I haven't been too lucky.

Ultimately I don't think we're really saying anything that different from one another though. It's not a guaranteed upgrade, but doable with proper planning.

This we can at least agree upon. It's very disconcerting. :confused:

7. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    the OP's avatar really scares me.....:eek:

DestinationDavid likes this.
  8. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's my passport picture.

The French Border Police love it.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  9. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cough Cough.

10. gamecock

gamecock Silver Member

Status Points:
    As an EXP I was 4/4 (Each cleared at least 24 hours out. I was able to book 4 weeks out.)
    As a PLT I was 2/2 (1 at 24 hours, 1 battleground)
    As a Gold, well, I haven't flown that route.

11. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to everyone for their responses.