LAX-IST (Open Jaw)CDG-BKK (Destination), (Open Jaw) SIN-LAX Valid award routing?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by vcabias, Oct 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. vcabias

vcabias Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello all. I've been trying to figure out if this is a valid bookable routing. Essentially I want to go to Europe next year over the summer for a few weeks and business class awards are obviously hard to come by. However, TK has excellent Businessn class availability all summer/year so I want to fly into Istanbul on or around 7/2/2014 and move around Europe for a couple weeks on a stop over and then fly from CDG to BKK on or about 7/17/2014 on TG or LX with BKK being my destination (both show a ton of options in Business, with TG having open availability in First). Finally I want to go from SIN to LAX on BR or NH Business or Economy (all options are open). My primary concern is if this route is even possible to book on one ticket and if so, is it something I need to call for because I can't seem to get more then one section of the ticket to price on United's site even though all legs are available.

2. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a round trip award, I believe this invalid because it is technically an around the world itinerary, unless you are somehow getting to IST via Asia and they'll allow that. But, my gut instinct on it is that they'd charge this as an around the world award, not a round trip award.

3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am going on a

LAX - BRU (23hr) - VIE (Open Jaw) CDG - SIN - ICN (23hr) - LAX in 4 weeks.

I had to book online first then change it ... so it might be better to call in & book... cheaper than a change fee

4. vcabias

vcabias Active Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, that's kinda depressing. I suppose I'll have to work on finding some additional options. Turkish Business, Thai First/Business or SWISS Business, and Aviana First or Business would be a wonderful way to spend 120,000 ish miles.

5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why depressing? Call in and try? Thought they might throw a RTW thing at you.

If that's what you really want to do; try booking a LAX - Europe - Asia - LAX w/o the open jaws first. See if that prices out. Keep the legs on hold & then call in and add Open jaws.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is nothing wrong with the proposed itinerary, other than the liberal use of two open jaws. That means the system may not auto-price it but an agent should be able to force it through. Crossing both oceans isn't a problem.

In some cases I've found it easier to book a more "normal" award of only one OJ and then change it than to book the double to start.

ssullivan likes this.
  7. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    And on top of that, the website can actually book an award like the OP is looking for, he may just need to call to change it slightly later.

A recent booking of mine gave me IAH-SFO-NRT/KIX-IST-IAH via the website. I booked it and then called to make changes to it, keeping it as a US-Asia-Europe-US reward.