LAX-Hawaii in Business?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by misterbwong, Aug 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I've been researching my next trip and it seems like LAX-Hawaii only has First seats available for all days searched. I suspect this is because most (if not all) flights LAX-Hawaii fly in 2 cabin planes and BA codes them as "First" seats, thought they're coded as Business/First on AA.

Is there any way for me to book a business seat (50k RT) from LAX-Hawaii? 75k seems a bit steep for that route and those seats...

2. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    You answered your own question.

Unfortunately AA calls their business class "First/Business" and BA classifies it as First when using Avios.

I don't not know anyway to work around the "no AA business class with Avios".

Maybe somebody else does?

3. Franklybrit

Franklybrit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that AA does call its business class 'First/Business' - rather that depending on the route the same seats with basically the same service are called different things. The vast majority of their domestic service (which includes LAX-HNL) is a two class service, with Economy and First as the two cabin options. Where the same planes fly on international routes, the cabin is marketed at Business. This is why there is no option to buy a business class tickets with Avios - it unfortunately doesn't exist.

To make matters worse, this 'first' cabin appears to be on domestic configuration 757's so, you don't even get a lie flat seat, just a large leather one. So, as you say, steep at 75k a ticket....

4. misterbwong

Status Points:
    Darn. Looks like I'm out of luck on this one. The only thing I might be able to do is find a 3-cabin AA flight from another city but it looks like these don't exist out of the west coast.

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    You wont.,. AA only flies 757s and 763s to Hawaii.... none of these aircraft in their fleet are configured for 3 cabins.

6. misterbwong

Status Points:
    Yikes. Thanks for the info!

7. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 763s have international BF seating.

-David

8. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know that Avios has a distanced based element. But, the redemption cost for mainland USA to Hawaii on the 3 main carriers (first in a two cabin):
    American 75,000
    United 80,000
    Delta 75,000/85,000

This is a much better deal from the East Coast than the West Coast, but you win sometimes and you lose sometimes.

9. misterbwong

Status Points:
    Yea, I was under the impression that there would be business availability at the 50k level in Avios. Looks like that isn't happening for us west coast-ers. Just not as good a deal as I thought it'd be. 25k in coach is still great, though. Too bad AS devalued their companion pass or I would have gone that route.

Meh. Like you said, you win some and you lose some.

hopscotch1 likes this.
  10. flightnurse

flightnurse Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to clarify something here, AA does not have BF, that would be continental airlines Dba United. AA has First, Business and Coach. AA only flys 2 class 767 to Hawaii, whether it is from LAX, DFW or ORD.

11. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    The AA 767 product has international business class and coach.

-David

12. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure that you can even get an AA B763 from LAX - Hawaii it is primarily B752

13. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    not anymore on LAX-OGG anyway.

-David

14. mickey1341

mickey1341 Active Member

Status Points:
    Just booked a trip on AA LAX-OGG on a B763 for next week in F class. ( no Business class within USA)
    Of the 3 daily flights 2 are on B763 and 3 rd B752
    LAX-HNL. Has a mix of B763 & B752's as well

15. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know! Enjoy your flights. Which one is the B757 flight, so I can avoid that one? Can you let us know about your in flight experience?

16. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    checked the schedule, and indeed, the 763 is back, one of them is Nov 15 - Dec 12 in the current schedule.

Whatever class they choose to call it, the 763 is a 2-class plane with an international business seat (angle flat, I believe) in the front cabin. The 757 is domestic F.

-David