LAX Hawaii flights now at T6 (gates 60 - 63)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by LIH Prem, May 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    In what can only be described as almost full circle ...

@united just tweeted that Hawaii pax should check in at T6 @ LAX starting today.

Checked flight status and all Hawaii flights are leaving from gates 60 - 63, except for one 737 LAX-HNL flight at gate 75A.

Premier access entrance is still in T6.

Would appreciate some first hand reports of any changes to the lobby setup. Are they going back to the old UA setup, and is there premier access if you use the T6 security entrance? The old CO counters are gone, aren't they?

The old PC was closed in T6, wasn't it? (ETA: It is not closed, it is still open.)

-David

Flyer1976, Kalboz and Minnesota Bruin like this.
  2. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like they're out of gates... again. SFO's getting the same treatment in two weeks.

Minnesota Bruin and LIH Prem like this.
  3. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is Premier Access at T6 and T7. They are less than 200 yards away from each other.

T6 is all Premier Check In
    T7 is all regular Check In

T6 has always been CO's old gates...they are just adding them to sUA ops in T7 and T8.

4. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done the walk between T6 and T7/T8 many times and they are much farther than 200 yards airside. Trust me, I've done that walk many times. It's not fun if you have a tight connection. At least the gates in T6 are no longer at the end in the rotunda, making it a slightly shorter distance now.

Previously, UA used the gates in the rotunda and used to have normal checkin in T6, primarily for Hawaii flights. The rotunda gates had sterile corridors and were also used for some international flights, IIRC. Alaska redid that part of the terminal and has an entirely new check in area for T6 now, except, apparently for gates 60 - 63.

Part of the deal they made with LAWA was to give up those gates, allowing Alaska to have their own (well mostly their own for now, except for 60 - 63, I suppose) terminal and also gave up exclusive use of their Customs and Immigration facility below T6.

Didn't the old CO counters in T6 close during the merger?

-David

5. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was talking about curbside distance between security lines.

There are still a lot of counters at T6...some may still be non-Premium. I'll have to check next week when I check in.

6. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I figured.

That would be appreciated. Thanks. If you can, see if we can use T6 security with elite access if we're flying out of T6.

-David

Minnesota Bruin likes this.
  7. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I definitely know you can do this...there was a premium line @ T6 just last Friday.

ETA: which I used...departing out of gate 61.

8. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    They still are, as of 3 weeks ago. I did an LAX-SFO out of 68A -- it was in the midst of the AS gates. It's a LONG walk from T8.

9. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    you are talking about the actual entrance to T6, not the long corridor for the UA elite line that leads back to T7, right?

That's a good sign.

-David

Minnesota Bruin and genemk2 like this.
  10. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. That's right. Actual entrance to T6.

11. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The scary part of this thread is that I know what you're talking about. ;)

12. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My OGG flights in the last couple of weeks departed and arrived at T7. I had a 2011 OGG flight go out of T6, and it was a bit of a trek to go there from T7.

13. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This seems reasonable, sort of reminiscent of UA at LAX in the late 90s with fairly extensive operations throughout the T6/7/8 complex, plus the box east of Sepulveda for Express. At least they are all within the same secure area.

Plus, those of us with Priority Pass will have access to the new Board Room at T6 (IIRC).

14. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    They said "starting today" (where today is May 15, 2012).

Good info on the priority pass. Thanks.

But seriously, reasonable is a relative term. Compared to the EWR mess, I guess almost anything is "reasonable" (since its a subjective term) but the experience at LAX got much better when they stopped using the T6 gates. But yeah, that's why I described it as "almost full circle".

-David

15. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or buy a refundable F ticket on AS.

16. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    So is the old President's Club at T6 is closing? OMG.

The ladies there were amazing. I knew/like most of them (day and evening shift)

The RCC/UC at T7 is too small for LAX. Way too small. IMHO, the International Global First Class Lounge needs to be turned into a regular UC. There is not enough space...

17. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. (OP edited to reflect that it is not closed.)

-David

18. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The new AS Boardroom doesn't seem that great to me. Both times I tried it, it seemed very crowded. And the bar was closed because they didn't a liquor license. The sign said the bar was temporarily closed - of course it had never been opened, so a bit misleading.

I don't think the merged airline ever stopped using T6. Perhaps all the sUA ops were in T7/8, but the sCO aircraft to EWR, IAH & CLE seemed to always stay in the 60's and the old PC never closed, it was just rebadged UC. I would guess that UA has some permanent gates in T6 (perhaps 60-63) and some part-time/overflow gates, e.g. for widebodies at the end? Wonder if UA will ever beef up international operations again at LAX (FRA, CDG, 2nd LHR, HKG all come to mind)

UA certainly is cramped for space if they have neither a remote terminal of UX ops nor many gates in T6. As you said, once upon a time they had the remote box (now used by American Eagle) as well as most of T6.

LIH Prem, unavaca and Minnesota Bruin like this.
  19. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    The sCO check-in desks in T6 never closed. As of a few weeks ago, there are a handful of general kiosks, group check-in, and strangely very busy checkin for Guadalajara (there was a printed sign but maybe the destination changes).

The premium sUA desks at T6 are unchanged. I was hoping they would take over some of the sCO real estate... :(

LIH Prem likes this.
  20. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Status Points:
    T6 was used for some sUA flights prior to the AS remodel. Typically, a handful of the last flights of the day and first flights in the morning.

LIH Prem likes this.
  21. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So UA has more RON aircraft than AS and leaves some here. Perhaps that's UA's peak need. Still UA will be hard pressed to expand much.

By the way is the FIS under pier 6 or 7? I think international arrivals are possible at the ends of both piers/pods

LIH Prem and Minnesota Bruin like this.
  22. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think the FIS is in the T6/T7 main building between the baggage claims. If I had to pick one, I'd say it's slightly closer to T7 (that's where you start and end up by the T6 baggage claim). It used to be accessible from both T6 and T7 and I'd think that AS would want that functionality.

23. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's worse if you have to go between T6-T8 which will be the case for me. My return OGG flight came into T7 last week though.

24. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but there are plenty of connections at other UA hubs that are even longer walks.

25. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Since the LAX-HI flights don't just go back and forth, I assume this means we'll have more non-HI arrivals into T6.

hulagrrl210 and LIH Prem like this.