LAX-GIG redemption

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Efilon87, Jun 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Im in a pickle. Looking for a flight LAX-GIG (July 21-29). Would like to use points/miles but UA/AA/DL/US don't have any low level redemption options. Here are my points balances:

AA: 181,000
    UA: 3,000
    DL: 25,000
    US: 117,000
    LH: 55,000

UR: 27,000
    AX: 125,000

Would it be wise to use the AX points to bring down the cost of the flight, or should I go with a high level redemption with AA or US? Any and all advice is welcome, thanks in advance!!

Thanks!!

~Efilon87

jbcarioca and marcwint55 like this.
  2. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you looking for coach, business, or any?

3. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would prefer business or first, but would do coach if need be.

4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Although it is not usually a good use of AX points, you might think about using AX points for the flight and then using miles to upgrade.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find AA has Milesaver economy in both directions and Business Milesaver outboound with Business AAnytime return. You do have routing options with AA through DFW, MIA or JFK. DFW which is 4x weekly to GIG, usually has better Milesaver inventory. That time has OK availability right now but I'd take it quickly because the Confederations Cup is beginning to take lots of award capacity on all carriers. If you had more DL miles i'd suggest using them to take KE nonstop to GRU from LAX connecting to Gol for the hop to GIG. That usually has pretty decent availability in both Y and C.

I hope you make it. I like Rio in winter. The beaches are a trifle chilly but life is good. It is 74F right now at 3:20 PM local.

marcwint55 and Mikus33 like this.
  6. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Three questions:

1) Not to throw a monkey wrench into the whole thing, but what are your thoughts about paying for business on Copa (LAX-PTY-GIG)? The fare is $1,087 (C, refundable) for the one way, and it looks to be in the new 737-800 cabin. 6 hour layover in PTY. I have purchased this ticket, and will cancel is AA has any MileSAAver avail.

2) Now, Ive seen business MileSAAver awards come up about 5 days from departure. Since Im already within the 21 days with AA so they are going to charge me that $75 "close-in" fee, so I am inclined to wait until a MileSAAver appears. Thoughts?

3) I know this is generally frowned upon, but if nothing comes up, what about using an AAnytime award?

Thank you for your thoughts and advice!!