LAX-CDG/A MUGGING/INTERCONTINENTAL LE GRAND/HI NOTRE-DAME/RADISSON CHAMPS-ELYSEES

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by THREEA4ME, Oct 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I decided I wanted six days away from family, I surveyed my accounts and saw a bunch of skymiles sitting there and wondered if 100K skypesos could get me from LAX-CDG in business in late September -- during fashion week and the Arc d Triomphe.

Courtesy of thepointsguy, who offered to help and who was on a transcon using GOGO, the answer was YES! -- IF I didn't mind flying LAX-SFO-CDG-AMS-LAX and if the first leg, LAX-SFO would be in coach. 100K skymiles I earned for less about $1000 to fly business sounded great so I booked it.

Arriving at LAX for my flight to SFO, I stopped at the kiosk at Delta and immediately got bumped into by a well dressed man. For some reason, my heart started beating, I reached for my wallet, and it was gone. I screamed, "Stop/Thief" as loud as I could and two plain clothes detectives immediately tackled the guy as he was exiting the airport (near the skycaps). Apparently, they were tailing him and he had done this thing before. I got my wallet, gave my info for his trial, and high-tailed it to Delta to catch my flight where I was informed that I was upgraded to first "because the rest of your trip is in business."

Arriving at SFO, I made the mistake of not going to the Delta lounge in the domestic terminal and instead going straight for the Air France lounge in the International terminal, figuring that AF would be much better. Wrong. The AF lounge was like a Holiday Inn business center. Really tiny with no showers and lousy food and bev. I'd avoid it if you can stay with an alliance partner.

My flight from SFO-CDG after several hours in the lounge was good, not great. It was on a 747 that was old and while I had a great middle seat to myself and lots of leg room, the inflight entertainment was horrible -- 5 movies that looped every two hours -- you had to catch them at the beginning or you would miss them -- and they were lousy films. Still, I had ample room to sleep and great wines so life was good.

Arriving at CDG, I sped through security (no fast passes like they give out on American) in 2 minutes and was out the door and waiting in line for the Roissy bus. I headed over to the Intercontinental and I outlined my review of that joint here:

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/review-of-intecontinental-le-grand-paris.19434/

Then it was on to the Holiday Inn Notre Dame.

Here is my review:

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/review-of-holiday-inn-paris-notre-dame.19443/

While I was there, I went to a terrific restaurant called FISH, which is a wine bar that is perfect for the solo traveler. I found out about it at the website parisbymouth.com.

From there, I headed over to the Radisson Blu.

Here is my review:

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/review-of-radisson-blu-champs-elysees.19444/

Because there was no round trips available when I booked my award ticket, I had to fly CDG-AMS (20 hour layover)-LAX on my return. But when I got to the airport with time to spare, I went to the Delta ticketing counter and asked if there was any business seats available straight to LAX (since I was feeling sick and tired and not up for a crazy Amsterdam diversion -- I know that sounds crazy, but I had been burning the candle at both ends for six days in a row). She said there was and it would be 110 euros for the change fee. No mention about 72 hour rules or whatnow. So I jumped on that, especially since I'd be flying a 777 home instead of KLM 747. A perfect flight back, great food, wine, champagne and on-demand films, and I arrived in LAX on time and content.

Clocktower, violist, viguera and 2 others like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Love the trip reports, and awesome bit on the pickpocket, but if I can criticize anything is the lack of pictures... :)

3. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, no pictures. I have them but not sure how to upload them from an iphone. Wish I could click on my Milepoint APP and just do it that way. If anyone knows, happy to provide shots.

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Easiest way would probably be to create an account with flickr and download the app, then you can send the pictures to your flickr stream.

Then you need to find the links to the pictures and add them to the thread.

5. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, sorry about the pickpocket thing, though glad they got him. I never would think that I'd need to be hyper-aware in an airport...only once I got to my destination!

6. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you think about it, getting discombobulated when you enter LAX is really easy. You go to the kiosk, you got all your bags, you put them down, you are concentrating on the screen, and voila!

7. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't figure that out. Ugh. Total loser, I am.

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Total loser that got mugged and got his wallet back plus just got back from paris. Yeah.

:)

--

Actually email me the pictures and I'll host them for you.

amauri@viguera.net

9. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    kind of you. I was kidding about not being able to figure it out. I'll do it.

Really appreciate your humor, though!

10. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice report.