LAX: Can I get past security into Ter 4 if I am flying out of Ter 7?

Discussion in 'LAX/SNA/LGB/BUR | Los Angeles Area Airports' started by CellarDoor, Mar 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. CellarDoor

CellarDoor Active Member

Status Points:
    Here is the deal:

We are flying into Terminal 1 on Southwest from PHX landing @ 6:45pm. Our flight out to SYD leaves on United (Terminal 7) at 10:10pm so we have LOTS of time.

Here is my question - we want to get a decent meal at a favorite restaurant of ours that is located in Terminal 4. Oddly enough I have never flown into LAX or connected but it appears Terminal 4 has not post security connection to Terminal 7 (or to T1 if we wanted to pop over as soon as we landed on the SW flight before checking in for the United flight). Based on the fact that it sounds like we would need to go through security at Terminal 4, eat, THEN exit and go back through security at Terminal 7 for our later flight (and we were happy with all this wasting of time in security) will TSA even allow us to do this?

At first I thought it was no problem but then I started thinking, if we are checked in for our United flight out of Terminal 7 are they going to let us into Terminal 4 or stop us at the security checkpoint? Basically are they checking that we actually are flying out of the Terminal we are asking to go into or are they just checking for a valid ticket (regardless of airline or which terminal we "should" be in)?

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless something has changed since I was there last year, 6-7-8 are connected airside via the corridors.

Terminals 5-6 are connected via an undergound walkway, and T4 used to be connected to 5 in this way too but when I was last there (September IIRC?) there was no access from 4 to 5.

I recall this clearly because my wife was flying AA from T4 back to JFK and I was flying United.

3. CellarDoor

CellarDoor Active Member

Status Points:
    From what I have read T4/T5 connection is still closed, so it sounds like if you enter T4 and want to go to ANY other terminal you are exiting through security.

I just wonder if it's worth attempting to get into T4 just to fill my belly (and if TSA will allow it)

viguera likes this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if they pay that much attention to your BP where they would say that you're supposed to be at T7 / United and wouldn't let you enter T4.

IIRC there were a couple of shuttles that ran back and forth between T4 and T6 for people traveling AA / Alaska, but I believe they checked your boarding pass before getting on the shuttle, so it's not like you could sneak into it. :)

I've been denied access to the "wrong" terminal when flying, but it's up to the TSA folks and of course that's always a crap shoot. You can look into getting a gate pass, as you'll have a valid boarding pass for later in the day out of another terminal, but I don't know how well that will work.

Either way, good luck :)

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been recently denied by the TSA at LAX. They made it pretty clear to me that they had a policy at that airport of not allowing access.

6. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I realized it's very dependent on the TSA agent, despite having a policy like what Wandering Aramean said.

Recently at EWR I specifically told the agent that I was going to the Admirals Club in Terminal A, and I was flying with AS in Terminal B. (I had a day pass on me) Agent allowed me through with no problem and also gave me a pass to use the known crew member security line.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It is more dependent on the airport policy than the specific agents. I spoke with many, many agents plus a couple supervisors at LAX. None were going to let me in to the "wrong" terminal. EWR doesn't care so what you experienced is, IMO, normal for there.

Sammich likes this.
  8. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah gotcha. Thought you meant it was a TSA policy.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The TSA at each airport gets to decide apparently rather than having a single policy so that passengers can know what to expect when traveling. :rolleyes:

viguera and Sammich like this.