LAX/BKK Award Advice - Business Class

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by spinner, Mar 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. spinner
    Original Member

spinner Active Member

Status Points:
    Planning a two week vacation in Thailand with my wife and looking to use miles. We are pretty flexible on dates between August - October. Our plan is to fly business class if space is available. I would love to know if you would recommend trying to get award tix on Cathay or Japan Airlines or AA or another option I'm not aware of.

I usually prefer to fly the international carriers, but it's been years since I've flown to BKK and I think that was on a domestic carrier in coach (and when I had no miles and no budget).

When it comes to searching for award availability, is my best option (as a basic beginner) calling the award desk and having them search for me. When I see more advanced folks posting about availability, I'm guessing you are using ITA or a different paid service. Is that correct?

Would love any advice if you have any to share.
    Thanks!

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Lots of folks use the British Airways Executive Club site (sign up for a BA frequent flyer account) to check availability on Cathay and Japan Airlines.

I think you'll find either Cathay or JAL will have better inflight products than American. And your choice will be guided by availability on the given dates of travel.

3. spinner
    Original Member

spinner Active Member

Status Points:
    Wildly helpful! Thank you so much. So much easier to check this way.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Cathay and JAL also depart North America from a lot of interesting cities (LAX/YVR/JFK), if it strikes your fancy make sure you schedule a stop over at one of them....

Also, Cathay is starting a flight from ORD to HKG which I've heard has some decent award availability depending on your time frame.....