LAX <-> ARN 11/22 - 11/25 w/o using BA?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by edekba, Jun 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi All; hope I'm asking in the right area, but I just heard that SHM is disbanding. I've always wanted to see them Live, and from what I can gather their last show will be in Sweden on 11/24. I'm trying to figure out a way to get to ARN during Thanksgiving w/o using BA flights since, when I looked it was going to cost 80k AA Miles & ~$1200 in fuel/taxes. That fuel charge just seems absurd, when looking at just apying for flights it would cost about ~$1800

What methods can I use/look to possibly fly to ARN w/o booking through aa.com & thus having to fly BA and pay those ginormous fuel surcharges?

FYI those numbers are for 2 people.

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about Finnair?

3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking at SkyScanner.com, I see the following
    11/22 - LAX-JFK-HEL-ARN
    11/25 - ARN-HEL-JFK-LAX

Showing for $992

:)

MX likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's cash price or the fuel charge?

If its cash I found a Turkish flight for 950. I'm looking at using award tickets.
    Thanks

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We could give all sorts of data point and options, but have you just picked up the phone and called AA? If you don't want to use BA, you have to call them anyway, so why not do just that and tell them you refuse to fly BA and see what they offer? You'll see much lower fuel charges.

AA European partners who fly to ARN besides BA are Finnair (AY), AirBerlin (AB), and Iberia (IB). Keep in mind that Stockholm also has other airports besides ARN that are an option for you (Bromma - BMA, Skavsta - NYO, Vasteras - VST). So you could use an award ticket to another point in Europe and buy a cheap ticket on a European LCC to get to Stockholm if you cannot make your award ticket work to ARN without BA. The typical trappings of an alternate airport are still present such as distance from the city, but it's an option should you find yourself with your back to the wall.

edekba and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Will do. I was just wondering if someone knew how much other carriers charge for the fuel and taxes.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Considerably less than BA. You'll be much happier with the total.