Lawsuit: New Jersey woman mistaken for prostitute, beaten at Florida hotel

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Jun 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Lawsuit: New Jersey woman mistaken for prostitute, beaten at Florida hotel ||

Unbelievable, life can be stranger than fiction, I hope she wins.

Gargoyle and sobore like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the hotel staff now responsible for apprehending packs of criminals?

YULtide likes this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surely the staff and security of a relatively upscale property such as the W Miami Beach bears some responsibility for the security of their guests, no? :rolleyes:

I would go further to say that if prostitutes were hanging around the lobby of the hotel it most likely was with at a minimum with the tacit accession of some members of the hotel staff.

Gargoyle, uggboy and viguera like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    In this case yes, It's a shame that someone got attacked at a W hotel in the first place. Staff has to care, at least that's something I would hope for.

That prostitutes can attack a guest without reprimand or apprehension shall be punished against the hotel / staff. Especially when a real guest is involved and gets attacked for no apparent reason.

Gargoyle and newbluesea like this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Staff and management are responsible for ensuring safety of the guests. It appears they not only failed at that, but also by not stopping the attack or getting immediate police action to arrest the attackers then they placed future guests at risk. Therefore, based on the limited data available in this thread I'd rule in favor of a judgment against the hotel that would be sufficiently large to be both economically painful and embarrassing. Those are the factors that cause corporations and individuals to change policy.

uggboy likes this.
  6. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why is the lawsuit filed in New Jersey if the Hotel was in Florida. Unless Starwood is being sued rather than the individual hotel, it seems like a mis filed lawsuit. And Starwood would be able to have the suit quickly dismissed unless they owned the hotel outright and were aware of the activity and actually condoned it.

Any lawyers out there who can provide an answer for me?

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I agree with your statement, but providing security IMO doesn't necessarily include apprehending (arresting) alleged criminals.

8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am greatly indebted to you for informing me as to the definition "arresting" although I cannot help but notice that this is the very first time the word even came up in the entire thread (including the linked article)

There are a number proactive actions the hotel security could have taken to delay or detain the assailants even to the extent of temporarily locking the front doors to lobby until the police arrived ....had they so desired.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Heh, fair point.

I guess my point was that I don't think that a hotel is necessarily responsible for letting alleged criminals get away. If they aggressively held people against their will, that might trigger a whole different type of lawsuit.

But see the article I linked above with a bit more detail than the one in the OP.