Lawmakers threaten TSA with private screeners

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by rwoman, Jan 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't see this posted...apologies if I missed it!

Wouldn't this be returning to (sort of) what we had pre-9/11?

USAToday: Lawmakers threaten TSA with private screeners
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...eners-airports-mica-orlando-connolly/4473961/

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe this says it all. No wonder a change is needed fast, I would be furious about such treatment and would "vote" for change.

Sadly many rules who came in after 9/11 aren't the best ones and I believe many were introduced without respect towards human rights, also many such rules came into being unquestioned. Which is at odds for being a democratic country, supposed to be that is.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    An interesting story, thanks for posting! In my experience, airport screeners around the world aren't the most polite folks, nor do they need to be. But, in most all other countries, they are arguably more professional. Nor is there the silly PC screening of old folks and babies, while a potential terror suspect might get a bye. Sure, changes are needed in the TSA, but having TSA personnel smile at me while letting someone looking to cause harm get on the plane isn't on a list of needed changes.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    India is using the TSA?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, they just contracted out to the TSA, the way that major US corporations (none of which are in the airline industry) do with them! ;)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad you've concentrated your energy wisely and found a solution for the problem at hand.

7. davewho??

davewho?? Active Member

Status Points:
    I agree. The market needs to open up to competition, we all know government agencies the world over aren't always efficient. Forget the military style insignia and perhaps operate more like sales associates in store with a more helpful and kindly attitude than has been experienced by myself and many others.

8. joelfreak
    Original Member

joelfreak Silver Member

Status Points:
    If we bid it out to the lowest bidder, and the TSA is still giving the marching orders, I don't see what would change. We need an overhaul of the system, NOT just new faces following old rules.

9. davewho??

davewho?? Active Member

Status Points:
    You're absolutely right.

10. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree. Top to bottom changes need to be implemented. While I have come in contact with customer friendly people (who still seem to be able to be on the look) there are many others who are not and that needs to change.

11. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    When the TSA was created, who did they look at first to hire? The private screeners that were already at the airports (Argenbright). What that boiled down to is the TSA quashing the stereotype of none of the screeners being able to speak English as their first language. And the TSA pays better than private contractor Argenbright.

Now with a dozen years under the TSA's belt, we're left with cost of living increases, political pissing matches, and bloated budgets in an effort to keep this government agency (like almost any other one), relevant.

It's only now that we're realizing "hey, do we really need this?" To me, I think we're finally un-puckering our collective butt cheeks about 9/11 and we might be realizing that it is impossible to be 100% secure 100% of the time.

Maybe it's not that, maybe it's complacency.

Maybe we're actually having an intelligent thought process on dignity versus security theater.

The TSA is never going away. If the people on the front-lines go private, those private companies are going to recruit TSA people. It's smart, and it's cost-saving. The only differences might be the uniforms screeners wear and a slight possibility of better accountability (until the bean counters realize it costs a lot of money to hire new people).

Follow the money....in the long run, the only change will be who pays for the front-line screeners, transferring that from The G to a private company.