Laundry

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by anabolism, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I try to never check bags, which means that I can't take more than four or five days of clothes. For longer stays, this means I need to do laundry at some point. As we all know, hotel laundry prices are outrageous. Some people resort to washing things out in the sink, but for me this is difficult, messy, and ineffective. I've been lucky enough to find a few places that do laundry and charge by the pound or even better by the bag. Sometimes, they even pick up and drop off at the hotel.

I'm thinking it might be useful to share tips on the best places to do laundry. To get things started, here are my two favorites:

Sydney, Australia: City Laundry. Charge by the bag. Pick-up/drop-off. Same-day service. Sydney Hilton will add to folio.

Hong Kong: Snow White. Charge by the pound. Pick-up/drop-off. Same-day service. Conrad will add to folio.

2. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had luck with small, local Best Western hotels doing laundry for me for a nominal fee or even at no cost at all.
    Now, don't get me wrong, this won't happen anywhere near a major city (and I wouldn't stay at a Best Western there either) but I've found this option convenient on road trips, namely in Australia.

3. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    TH does laundry in the sink. Smalls. I do too for long trips. When the Missy and I were in Paris after Andorra and the BOODOO, we found a laundromat close to our hotel. New experience for me, but worked great. We had lunch, hung around for a bit window shopping, came back and our laundry was done.

4. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    The hotel Tabard Inn in DC does a great job of laundry and they do not charge an arm and a leg. You also do not get hotel points, so that would be a factor for some.

5. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 for laundry in the sink or bathtub.

There's a reason why many hotels, even "classy" ones,
    have clotheslines in the bathrooms.

Grace likes this.
  6. sc801
    Original Member

sc801 Gold Member

Status Points:
    +2 for laundry in the sink. I like to travel with clothes that can be worn multiple times as well and try to choose those that will dry quickly when washed. On a recent trip I had to do 'laundry' my first night because someone accidentally doused me with a full glass of white wine! I had clothes hanging from lampshades right in front of the heater as well as some across the shower bar. Worked great! For long trips I take small little packets of Caldrea detergent which are given as samples by a local store. That way everything doesn't smell like hotel soap. :)

7. shane
    Original Member

shane Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another vote for washing in the sink. It helps if you buy quick-dry stuff. ExOfficio boxer briefs are awesome for this.

I bring a small container of laundry powder and a length of rope with clothes hangers when I'm traveling for extended periods of time.

loadera likes this.
  8. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another thing to consider if you don't/can't wash your clothes in the sink is to find a nice local laundromat. I've been very successful with this, and it allows me to be productive while the load is in the wash

9. sc801
    Original Member

sc801 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh - that's right, you reminded me, Shane.... I always travel with two clothespins as well. They come in handy for a myriad of reasons!

10. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always travel with some thin rope and several carabiners. It's effective for drying, hanging a mosquito net etc. It's seldom a problem for me to find someone doing laundry for not too expensive and I've never resorted to having the hotel do it. I'd rather pay $2/kg than do it myself.

11. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    This past November I was on a three week trip to Asia and wanted to see how much of a difference there was between hotels.

For this exercise I used standard laundry service and one pair of slacks. Currency is all in USD with Google conversions.

Here is what I found:
    • $6.05 Hilton - Delhi, India
    • $4.40 Hilton Garden Inn - Delhi, India
    • $2.53 Taj Hotel - Thiruvananthapuram - India
    • $5.50 Marriott - Mumbai, India
    • $7.99 JW Marriott Bangkok, Thailand
    Now before anyone asks, no I didn't do that much laundry. I just logged the cost from the laundry sheet n the room.

12. Rich
    Original Member

Rich Silver Member

Status Points:
    I spend 10 days at a time in a small town in SW England and the place there used to do a nice service wash where I could get a week's worth of stuff done for about £12 and get my stuff back in 2 days. Now they quote a week's turnaround and will not budge on that, so I'm stuck going to the launderette next door and it costs me just as much. Boo.

I can't do the sink thing, although I'll use the towel warmer or shower curtain rod to dry my workout clothes so I can use them a second (or third) time on a trip.

cockpitvisit likes this.
  13. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depending how long I'm staying in a particular place before moving on determines how laundry will be done. I need time for drying obviously if I do my own sink laundry. If there's a heated towel rack or a radiator, so much the better!

If I'm only in a place for one or even two nights or I just don't want to spend the time doing laundry I just find a place in the city that has full service if I can find it (never had a problem in British Isles or most of the European continent), otherwise I'll do the self service option. I take a nylon laundry bag that folds down to nothing and I just make a quick trip to the laundromat in the morning and pick it up in the evening or following morning. Plenty of budget and mid-range hotels around the world have their own pay-for-use machines too. Last used one in Clarion Suites Gateway right of Flinders St in MEL.

14. Ewing
    Original Member

Ewing Active Member

Status Points:
    Oh silly me, I thought that they were for drying your swimmers after using the pool :)

Seriously though - most of my trips are short enough that I can last without doing washing. If I'm going for more than a few days I'll skip the hotel room and get a serviced apartment which will have a laundry (and kitchen + living room).

15. Gnopps
    Original Member

Gnopps Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually wash in the sink as well. Bringing along a small bag of laundry detergent it is an easy thing to do. With an easy-care shirt it is especially easy as it will dry just a few hours (perfect for mileage running!).

oliver2002 likes this.
  16. Also it's worth checking if the hotel has a guest laundry facility.
    I think some Holiday Inns in Australia and Singapore have coin-operated guest laundry facility, for instance.

Many dry cleaners in Australia do wash & fold services and charge by the load rather than per piece, and some do really cheap shirt ironing for men's shirts (women's shirts are usually excluded due to seams etc), starting at around $2 per shirt.

Saying that, there are some very pleasant surprises in hotel laundry costs. Imperial Hotel in Japan gives a generous 50% discount for their Imperial Club members, and their laundry costs are already rather low to start with.

alex0683de likes this.
  17. Good idea, perhaps we should start a global laundry index, similar to the iPod index?

Add my current location to the list:
    • 13.04 USD - Airways Hotel, Port Moresby, PNG
    (also for 1 pair of trousers to be laundered (and pressed if desired))

18. I find that often I start a trip with old clothes and then my shopping means that I endup not having to do much washing.. haha.. although the cost of bringing back the extra clothes doesnt help!

19. I often travel with a balance of nice clothes, and some older items which I can throw away. It's an easy way to make space for shopping.

20. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I'm travelling for work, I often end up in the same area week after week. I usually locate a local dry cleaner, so can leave my stuff over the weekend and not have to carry it back and forth (creasing it in the process). In NY, they will pick up and deliver to your hotel, a very nice bonus!! As far as washable laundry items, I try not to need to wash while I'm away but would lean towards something similar to the dry cleaner solution above.

21. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sink and a detergent packet while not ideal will certainly get you by for a week or so.

travelingmore likes this.
  22. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all. I thought I was being explicit in trying to start a thread for recommendations and experience in specific places to do laundry, but what we have is a thread full of people saying they wash in the sink or tub, which I'm not sure how this helps (people who do laundry in the sink will do so regardless if others do, and those that don't like this won't start just because others do). I thought a list of specific places that do service washes, bag washes, fluff-and-fold (different names in different areas) would be a good resource, and knowing people's recommendations or experiences would likewise be helpful.

Laundromats are a good second choice if a service can't be located, but they require devoting a lot of time to laundry, while services don't, and those that pick-up/drop-off at the hotel require no time.

23. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do this to wash out my swim suit after swimming: wash in sink with shampoo, then roll in towel, then hang up. But I don't like this for actual clothes.

Sure, in pretty much any country one can find local laundry places. The point of this thread was just that. Saying one can find a place is not as helpful as listing the places one has used.

24. resipsa99
    Original Member

resipsa99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry about that. Since you found it unhelpful, I've deleted the post... Hopefully others will help you get what you are looking for. Cheers!

25. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good or bad (and it really can go either way), any thread once created has its own life. It is the posters and response that will define the thread, and often the intentions of the original poster are lost. That doesn't make something good or bad, wrong or right, it is just the way it is.
    It's unfortunate that any poster would feel the need to delete their post based on a response from a fellow community member. That is not the goodwill feeling that Randy is looking to have engendered within this community.