Latetst Enhancements: Removal of garlic bread, ketchup, and Sprite Zero

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by chitownflyer, Jun 30, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know many like the garlic bread, but I don't like it.. too smelly on a plane.

They said they were changing sprite zero with some other sparkling water flavored beverage I think (Dasini sparkling something or other) -- so they are making a direct replacement.

I'm trying to think when I've been offered ketchup on biz-first, maybe with eggs, but I can't seem to remember it. Maybe back when they did the biz-first "burger snack".

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it was done on AA or DL, it wouldn't be a big deal or of any consequence.

But since it's UA, you wonder if this is part of the $2b in cutbacks. While from different origins, it sort of reminiscent of the AA olive in the salad story from a long time ago.

4. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    First it was the olive, then it was the salad, then it was the entire meal…

5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Clearly inaccurate since DL had not announced these identical enhancements first.

webdes03, LIH Prem and anileze like this.
  6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Next week, only 1Ks get the full can. Silver 25%, Gold 50% and Plats get 75% of the can.

goalie, webdes03, snod08 and 2 others like this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also worth noting/clarifying that the garlic bread is only being removed to Asia (and it was already gone from Asia). It will still be on offer for p.s., S. America and Europe. I'm betting it was simply not consumed as much on those flights.

8. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't really matter if ketchup and garlic bread mattered at all. It's just another string of stupid things to be doing at an airline that isn't performing operationally. Like it's going to make a difference ... Project Quality.

So in my view, it's just another thing that people can and will ridicule, and rightly so.

If UA can't make money in this environment, they will probably never make money.

-David

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  9. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Calling service cuts "Project Quality" is just so laughable. Since when has quality involved reducing service?

10. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad to see that garlic bread gone, just a hunk of white bread with some smelly garlic and butter, who knows if it is even real butter, could be margarine, there are certainly healthier bread choices from the bread basket. I have never been served anything that needed ketchup on it, and in fact have never seen ketchup served as a condiment, on what food that UA serves would ketchup be a compliment to?

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Why is is stupid? Because they made any change at all, or because there is something intrinsically important about whether Sprite Zero or flavored Dasani water is served?

If they did nothing people would complain they don't like the status quo. They make a change and people complain about that, too. Whole lot of :rolleyes: going on with that.

IMRU and davef139 like this.
  12. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely true to a degree, but there's a difference between "change" and "cuts". The substitute of Sprite Zero with Dasani is fine -- you might prefer one over the other but they are both well known beverages. The bread removal might have had less sting if UA stated "We've found garlic rolls are not popular on these routes and many of them get thrown away. We've decided to offer a breadstick instead." Or "add a raisin to the salad." Instead we're told they are eliminating items. And lest there is any doubt this is only about saving money, they've also anounced "cold pre-arrival sandwich will replace the United Economy hot sandwich on S-CO flights from Washington Dulles International Airport to Europe on flights with afternoon arrivals." No, for the most part it's not about change, it's about cuts.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not link to the original source? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ons-coming-along-some-meal-drink-changes.html

Endless discussion where pretty much anything that could be said about this issue has been said ten times over ensued in that thread last week.

goalie likes this.
  14. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    The point is one you've made yourself, they should be concentrating on operations, making the airline more reliable and efficient where it doesn't hurt operational reliability. Without that there is nothing they can do to improve the airline.

Cutting garlic bread and ketchup is just another reminder that they really have no plan for profitability other than "Project Quality", (and I suppose the move to more efficient aircraft overall, but that's not going to be enough IMO) and if they can't make money in this environment, what are they going to do when the business environment gets worse for the industry? It doesn't even matter if that's 100% accurate, it's another PR blunder in a long string of them.

Personally I don't give a rats ass about the ketchup being gone. Only UA in their current environment could make it newsworthy, and not for any good reason.

-David

HaveMilesWillTravel and goalie like this.
  15. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    And general members get the pull tab from the can

Flyer1976 likes this.
  16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    All the more reason that this change just doesn't matter that much. :-:

WilliamQ and Steve GadFly like this.
  17. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I read your reply, I smiled to myself the number of ways I could choose to interpret it (and the situation) but mostly, all the interpretations either infers that "United is currently in trouble" or "United will be in trouble" and neither are news worth celebrating.