Latest news from AC on Altitude startup

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by guinnessxyz, Feb 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Guinnessxyz,

Our goal is to keep you regularly updated regarding the upcoming launch of Air Canada Altitude™ on March 1st
    . Recently, we advised you of your 2013 Altitude status and in preparation of the launch, here is some additional information on upcoming activities:

Transitioning to Air Canada Altitude
    Starting February 18 until February 28, 2013, we will be updating our systems for Air Canada Altitude. During this period you will notice that, at several touch points, your 2012 Top Tier status will be displayed as follows:

• Prestige will display as P25K or Prestige 25K
    • Elite will display as E50K or Elite 50K
    • Super Elite will display as S100K or Super Elite 100K
    We want to reassure you that your 2012 Top Tier status and associated privileges will not be impacted during this transition. The areas affected by this change include the information printed on your boarding pass and certain features available on aircanada.com.

As of March 1, 2013, your recently confirmed 2013 status will become effective and will be displayed accordingly.

Additionally, note that during this period there may also be occasional overnight outages that could affect your ability to request an eUpgrade. Should this happen, please try again later as the outages will be limited to a 2-3 hour period.

Choosing your Select Privileges
    During the week of February 25, you will be invited to choose your Select Privileges by e-mail. Depending on your selection, you'll either receive your Select Privileges electronically, or in a follow-up package within 4 to 6 weeks.
    Please note:

• If you choose the Altitude Bonus, which offers Bonus Aeroplan® Miles for every eligible flight operated by Air Canada and select Star Alliance member airlines, this bonus will apply retroactively to all flights flown since January 1, 2013.
    • If you choose Bonus Altitude Qualifying Miles or eUpgrade Credits for eligible Flight Pass activities*, this bonus will apply retroactively to all eligible activities completed since January 1, 2013.
    Threshold eUpgrade Credits
    As an Altitude member, you're entitled to additional eUpgrade Credits for every 20,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles you earn. If you've reached one of these thresholds for travel since January 1, 2013, you may have noticed that you have not received the applicable eUpgrade Credits in your aircanada.com eUpgrade account. Note that these eUpgrade Credits will be awarded retroactively shortly after March 1
    st.

Million Mile Recognition
    During the transition to Air Canada Altitude, we are not fulfilling Million Mile membership packages. Members who have reached a Million Mile level during this period will be receiving their Million Mile exclusive package in spring 2013.

We appreciate your continued patience and understanding leading up to the Air Canada Altitude launch. Soon you'll enjoy a range of services and privileges that will make your travel experience even more rewarding.

For the latest information, please visit altitude.aircanada.com.

2. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...at least they appear to be "on schedule" with their communications. I would expect the next communications WILL come the week of Feb 25.

3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but it's a very slow roll-out even if it is on schedule. It's not obvious to me why they need two whole months for basic fulfilment of things like luggage tags and the new Aeroplan cards, nor for the ability to make award selections. Functionally we will have three days for that at most prior to the beginning of the new status year, which also happens the week of Feb 25.

4. Its called system readiness something AC has not been good at in the past

5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. It will be interesting to hear from SE100Ks, E75Ks and E50Ks flying on March 1st and trying to get into *A lounges if the new cards haven't arrived yet.

6. AC has always been in front of that when it becomes an issue.
    The real problem is the "lapsed" tier passnger trying to get an upgrade on March 1 or 2nd saying they didn't know their upgrade certs had lapsed or that its only one or two days after the expiration date. I 've also heard "amazing" stories in the lounges about how they should be allowed in because they had status for the last X years and will soon be back in the top tier,etc.
    This a two way street in some regards. AC does mess things up at times but there are many more pax trying to screw the system as well, human nature being what it is;) .

There are the glass half full and the half empty types but there are many dishonest ones out there

7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I'm sure there are pax out there who try to substitute DYKWIUTB for DYKWIA (Don't You Know Who I Used To Be). I've no doubt legitimate 50K+ status pax will be able to get into the MLLs. It's the other *A lounges I wonder about.

As to trying to pawn off expired upgrade certs, that should be a thing of the past with eCerts, which will just vanish into the aether leaving no trace. I'm about to lose 5, but easy come easy go, I suppose.

We'll see how the JIT fulfilment goes. I trust it shoudl be ironed out for my next trip in April.

8. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw a guy at YYZ get asked for a cert as he boarded. This was at the end of February just before the change over to eCerts. He blankly looked at the gate agent and said "Oh, I used the new eCert online to do this upgrade." She let him board without another word. Buddy was high 5'ing his pals on board because he "finally got one over on AC". I took note of his employer and position from a business card showing on his laptop bag and sent an email outlining the day and flight saying I'd never do business with them if this was an indicator of their Sales Reps morality. The reply stated that they would "look into it." I don't give two hoots if anything came of it.

When I was commuting every week it was amazing to see how often this type of behaviour happened and, through non-action, was rewarded. Flat out lying, playing dumb until the GA gives up, ignoring calls to return to the gate...I've seen them all and most were followed by comments and/or actions indicating how they "got one over" on AC. I'm sure it happens on other airlines too and we just notice it more on AC since that is our most frequent carrier.

9. AC management has taken a much tougher line with employees who "cave in". They have sporadic checks on a lot of flights to see if certs were indeed used. There are times when a concierge will opup a pax as a customer retention service. They then must explain it to their supervisor if the monitoring system picks it up. So, in effect we all pay a price for the dishonesty of others because the employee can't be bothered to explain his or her actions.

slalom likes this.
  10. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Credit where credit is due: I received the new card and luggage tags in the mail today.

11. Not me:eek:

12. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    The vicissitudes of Canada Post at work, I'm sure.

13. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here. The 50k card is a pretty blue this time around.

14. Oh I see they did the peon classes first:D

mtlfire and maradori like this.
  15. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks that way judging be all the E50's saying they've got theirs.

16. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has the MM status been removed from the Aeroplan web site -- I can't see it there any more? Is this the first step in separating the Altitude web site from Aeroplan?

17. yes they did and they actually announced it as part of their transition to altitude in one of their recent communiques. I beleive it will reappear under the new program.

tomh009 likes this.
  18. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hardly. AC at its normal best. Don't blame the Post Office, they actually deliver! Likely AC wants to get all these 50K Elite cards out so those traveling outside the country will have their STARGold status clarified for lounge agents (who will now not accept 35K Elites, but who have likely been instructed to continue accepting last year's SE cards for a couple of more weeks).

19. And I presume you think they should get hundreds of 1'000's of these packages out in one day:rolleyes:

Amazing insights some people have when they are backed by recurring illogical prejudices.

20. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    You will soon be a 2MMer, must be a lot of wear and tear on a person? Congratulations on your pending milestone

guinnessxyz likes this.
  21. Its been a fun ride!! Lots of biz and plenty of leisure flying over the years. And the work I do is fun. My wife likes the front cabin also and flies everywhere on AE points, so its all good.

maradori and milchap like this.
  22. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Time to update the signature, you can't still be only 40,000 miles away ;)

YULtide likes this.
  23. True but I don't know exactly where I'm at since they pulled the updates from AE. I should, in theory, go over 2MM on my upcoming trip to Asia. I'm going to call Aeroplan on my return if the new "Altitude" program isn't showing my new status. I also never knew whether the updates on AE were accurate or timely as I never paid much detailed attention.
    If I could get them to count my miles on Canadian and my pre 1988 miles on AC I think I would be close to touching 3MM.

mtlfire likes this.
  24. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    When producing 200-300K units of five varieties, a manufacturer will do split runs of a single variety at a time. Thus once produced and packaged, all of the one variety will go off for shipping at the designated date (under contract to deliver on a specific date or dates) while the next batch is processed and delivered to the shipper. And so on...
    And because such items are always bulk packaged and pre-shipped to Canada Post for delivery to its distribution centres across the country. FT reports had people across the country receiving their 50K kits at the end of last week, and now the 75K kits are arriving in cities as far apart as Edmonton and Toronto. No 25K, 35K or 100K kits in evidence (as would be expected under my scenario), suggesting the next three waves should occur this week. None of my SE friends have received their kits yet, I received my 75K kit this afternoon (on my slide away from AC and this program), and FT has no reports of 25K or 35K kits arriving either.

It seems that Macleans can get itself delivered across Canada within 48-hours of coming off the press and being delivered to Canada Post for a similar form of shipping. So is Altitude being handled in a similar national roll-out.

25. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, those must have been the ones I saw at YYZ this morning ...