Late due to "paper work issue" (May I request due compensation?)

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by AMRivlin, May 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. AMRivlin
    Original Member

AMRivlin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last night on AS707 LAX-YVR, we sat on the tarmac for 1 hour while the captain attempted to resolve a paperwork error.

Due to their "mistake" I missed the last train to the city (home) and had to pay $40 in cab fare because of this botch up. (I live on the train line and have an annual pass, so the cost difference is truly $40 due to their negligence)

May I ask AS to cover my cab fare, as the delay was entirely their fault and not weather or ATC backup?

2. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    They don't have to give you anything, but I would suggest writing a calm email to CS with just the facts (time of delay, time trains stop running, etc) and hope for the best. You may not get anything, you may end up with some miles, they may fork over the $40. I don't have much experience with AS, but it certainly never hurts to ask in a nice, calm way!

Good luck!

AMRivlin likes this.
  3. AMRivlin
    Original Member

AMRivlin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thx, I sent something calm ;) They offer $20 voucher if your bags don't arrive within 20 min, I figure if it isn't weather or security related, AS should ensure arrival within 30 min of scheduled time. Gate to Gate.

I will report back.

I wouldn't be so upset if I wasnt delayed over an hour and forced to pay a taxi at 2am. But they really should file their flight plans before backing away from the gate.

4. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just saw this in their C.O.C. ....

Amenities/Services for Delayed Passengers: AS will furnish amenities to passengers holding reservations and to standby passengers who have been cleared for boarding on a flight which is delayed more than 1 hour, or canceled. The type of amenities given will be dependent upon the length of delay and shall not exceed a period of 24 hours from the time of occurrence. Exception: We cannot provide the amenities outlined in this section if air traffic control, a weather situation, or another extraordinary circumstance beyond our control occurs at any city within your intended flight routing. We will do all possible to advise you of weather problems before departure, but it is always advisable to check weather conditions along your route and plan accordingly.
    1. One Hour: If we've caused your arrival to be one hour or more past your original scheduled arrival, upon request, we will offer the use of an AS business phone that is able to dial outside of the airport.
    Two Hours:
    1. If your flight is delayed two hours or more, one of our airport Customer Service Agents will provide you with an Apology Brochure from the employees of Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air, which includes 2,000 Mileage Plan Bonus Miles to be deposited into your Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan account

Hopefully you at least get the miles!

5. AMRivlin
    Original Member

AMRivlin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having looked at FlightAware.com it says we were grounded for 52min, and arrived 44min late. we didnt pull up to the gate until 1:04am, and deboarding as you know takes forever.

Expected arrival is 12:04, I always have made the 12:57am train. 52 extra min in LAX tarmac made that impossible.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Generally speaking, I find that airlines are much more willing to give you miles then cash, even when they're clearly at fault. Might you get further if you perhaps set your sights on a mileage goal (credited to your program if you're not an AS member) as opposed to a $ amount?

Either way, sounds frustrating and best of luck. Also, I hope you enjoyed those hockey tickets. ;)