LATAM - oneworld?

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by jixx, Dec 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jixx

jixx Silver Member

Just curious if anyone has any updates on which airline alliance LATAM will choose.

I know from reading some posts, blogs, and news articles that the Chilean antitrust court stipulated that LATAM cannot join the same alliance as Avianca-TACA, whicsupposed to give a ruling some time soon with its own stipulations for the merger. Does anyone know when that ruling is expected? Or has anyone heard anything new regarding the merger and LATAM's choice for alliance?

I personally would love to see LATAM choose oneworld, as that opens up more travel possibilities for me, as oneworld is my preferred alliance.
  2. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Still no word, but the Chilean stipulation about not being in the same alliance pretty much clinches it for OW. With Delta purchasing a stake in GOL and Aerolineas Argentinas being ST already, I can't really see another option for LATAM.

I, too, much prefer that they stick with OW.
    harvson3 likes this.
  3. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

The Brazilian antitrust regulator CADE also required them to choose an alliance, and to open up two slots on the SCL-GRU route.

Losing TAM to oneworld would be very detrimental to * A in Brazil. Currently, UA/CO has GRU and GIG, and that's it.** TAP has more destinations, but through Lisbon, which is quite a connection from N. America. Copa flies to MAO through PTY, but... :eek:

As to which move would be better for competition and better consumer choice, I can't really say.
    zpaul likes this.