Last minute redemptions?

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by Rom Sac, May 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Rom Sac
    Original Member

Rom Sac Silver Member

Status Points:
    It appears from EF that Qantas sometimes opens up premium space the day of the flight. Some posters in The Other Forum suggest this space isn't real, just a matter of QF processing upgrades.

But it seems to be bookable, at least with BA miles. Anyone know the real story? I'm interested in using partner miles (AA or BA).

Chimpy and jmrich1432 like this.
  2. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am definitely interested in using some BA miles for this if anyone has any insight.

3. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Redemptions are not available within 24 hours of a flight departure. QF will start to process upgrade requests (international) around 24 hours out from departure.

If you're seeing it domestically, it may be yield management hoping for people to burn U availability in the Qantas Club.

This is for QF FF points only, you can't do this with AA or BA miles (And you won't be able to do anything within 24 hours unfortunately).

Chimpy likes this.
  4. Rom Sac
    Original Member

Rom Sac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification, but I'm confused -- BA displays availability sometimes within 24 hours. I didn't make the last step and actually grab the booking, but would this definitely fail? The BA booking engine gets you all the way to where you need to enter credit card info, without an obvious problem.

5. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    It could be a computer hiccup. If you try and buy a tix on the Qantas website within 24 hours of departure it will show availality and price but will not allow u to purchase. You have to call Qantas to make the booking so I doubt a points redemption wud be available.

6. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only for international. Domestic flights can be purchased online within 24 hours (pretty much if it shows, you can book it; I've done this before).

Chimpy likes this.