Last minute gift to MP members - 2 expiring SWUs

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Skyvillager, Feb 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Skyvillager
    Original Member

Skyvillager Silver Member

Status Points:
    In an effort to make my 200th post on MP memorable, I'd like to surprise someone(s) with the gift of luxury :D - an unexpected upgrade on AA.

Depending on your travel dates, this may or may not work, but has to be processed by tomorrow.

Anyone interested - feel free to start a "conversation" with me, including:
    AA confirmation #
    name(s) as shown on ticket(s)
    your contact email or phone # in case I have questions to ask while you are not on MP

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Have you confirmed that your eVIPs are able to be applied past their expiration date? Or is this only for travel today or tomorrow?

Very generous offer regardless though!

kyunbit and schnitzel like this.
  3. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that generally the way SWUs on AA work? I always thought travel had to be completed by the end of February of the appropriate year, no ifs, ands, or buts.

4. Skyvillager
    Original Member

Skyvillager Silver Member

Status Points:
    The first rule of Flight Club is: we do not talk about Flight Club. :)

The second rule of Flight Club is: we do not ask certain questions in a public forum. :eek:

Ed74 and schnitzel like this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There are opportunities for some members to use eVIPs for travel that is past the expiration date. I've done it in the past. Policy on this has solidified recently. The always insightful JonNYC has posted information related to this on TB for those who are curious: LINK.

Not sure what about the question was inappropriate for a public forum considering expiration information is fairly common knowledge and specifying might help narrow your search down if there is a limit to the outbound/inbound dates. We have 3 other threads with similar offers running right now, most of which list expiration info. :confused:

miamigrad likes this.
  6. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone want to lecture me on the pros and cons of giving the (very generous!) OP the info requested? I have some options where I could use the SWUs - one even has seats for a fact. But do I just email over that info?

If someone wanted to, would the info requested be enough to cancel the reservation?

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I haven't seen the poster active in the AA forum, so not much experience for me to speak from sadly. Of course being a MPer, I'm sure he's a stand up citizen and someone can vouch for him. :)

With regards to your concerns about your reservation, as one famous blogger has discovered, it takes very little for someone to mess with your travel plans: LINK. ;)

schnitzel likes this.
  8. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    OMG! There's always a tomorrow!!! This year february goes to 29th!!! Does AA count that?

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yup, under the section about SWU validity: http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/vpupdate.jsp

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  10. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is a 4/5 upper level member (per JonNYC's post)?

11. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's definitely an interesting post and it makes me a little wary of the possibilities.

The blogger noted that all airlines and hotels and PIN or password protect your reservation. Anyone know how to do so with AA?

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Might be as easy as calling and asking them to do it. ;)

schnitzel likes this.
  13. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the phone with them now - looks like all they can do is put info into your notes to ask for extra verification. There's no guarantee the next agent will read it or abide by it.

It does seem like a decent security hole along the lines mentioned in the blog. And there does NOT seem to be such a mechanism to lock a reservation with AA, at least.

Makes me nervous about all of these offers for SWUs. But if there was malfeasance going on with the SWU offers, I'm sure we'd hear about it quickly.

14. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really don't think you have much cause for concern though it's a little crazy how the mechanism works. I gave some SWU's away to a friend of a friend, which entailed calling and having them applied (one waitlisted, cleared later) and a few months later started receiving AA credit card offers for that person at my address. Regardless, there's likely so many potential security holes in all this that focusing on this one item is perhaps not helpful. There's almost certainly a lot bigger potential issues lurking in the shadows ;-) Roll the dice and enjoy the ride!

NYCAdventurer likes this.
  15. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't hesitate accepting gifted SWUs every, was just able to take advantage of 2 SWUs gifted for my JFK-EZE flight. The generosity of fellow MPers is always appreciated and I hope one day I can do the same for others.

alohastephen likes this.