Last minute F award availability

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by Tom, Dec 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tom
    Original Member

Tom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have any experience on Qantas opening up additional first award availability close to the date of departure? I'm going to Australia after Christmas, and would love to leave a day later if possible, but have been checking for weeks without anything opening up on the date I want.. Just trying to figure out if I have a shot at changing the ticket, or if I should start planning to deal with what I have.

2. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have QF gold / platinum status you can phone & ask them to open up availability if there is a seat available in F. This is one of the relatively new things announced this year as a benefit to these passengers.

3. Tom
    Original Member

Tom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope, don't have any of that. Using AA miles for the trip..

4. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tom, just curious if you ended up finding this to be true or not? I'm looking at using AA miles on Qantas and am curious whether availability tends to get better the closer in you get...what did you find?

5. Tom
    Original Member

Tom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't see anything open up close in, even the day before. At the same time, I may have been flying at peak times (around New Years to Australia). Loads in F were actually pretty full on the Qantas segments, so my experience may not be representative of circumstances when there's plenty of space left in the cabin..

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  6. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    From my experience I would think availability would remain tight on this route. I know as an Australian living overseas, when we used to do the annual christmas run to Oz we knew we would have to have our tix booked by May at the latest to score a decent revenue tix. I think the redemptions would go really quickly as Xmas/Jan is the peak travel time for Australia.

7. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    F reward travel on QF is getting tight - since QF is removing F from its 744 fleet. The JFK-SYD 108/107 is now only J as the top class in the front of the 744. My experience - having redeemed about 20 QF rewards (mostly F) in the past 20 years is that QF rarely opens seats after initial offering. I have been on F cabin flghts where 1/2 the F cabin was empty. They want people to buy the seats - not wait for last minute reward inventory to open.