Last minute booking from DTW to west coast help...

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by Judy905, Feb 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Judy905

Judy905 Active Member

Status Points:
    I need to be in SJC on March 3rd and the cost is pricey. I have a couple of days leeway on both ends and was looking at the possibility of a short mileage run that may be less expensive (or that I would at least get a decent amount of miles for $ spent). Any suggestions or advice???

2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is your preferred return? Looking at the dates of return as the 6th, 7th, and 8th don't change the price much ($375 - 410 range). What is your budget? Do you have miles with any airlines?

Welcome to MP. :)

Counsellor and gregm like this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    US is $165 for a o/w ticket to OAK via PHX on the 3rd. Just take a shuttle or get a rental car from OAK-SJC. You're lucky that you have a few options at that area (SJC/SFO/OAK).

Counsellor likes this.
  4. Judy905

Judy905 Active Member

Status Points:
    Should have mentioned, I'm flying Delta. Matrix shows $776 for departures the 28th, 1st and 2nd. My return dates are open.

5. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did a quick check on skyscanner and found plenty of $408 RT options, or you could go with a combo of o/w flights as Jimgotkp listed.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  6. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here are two options:
    DFW-SJC.JPG

Counsellor and Jimgotkp like this.
  7. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP is departing from DTW, not DFW. ;)

From OAK you could take BART around the Peninsula & CalTrain from downtown or Milpitas, or BART to Amtrak to SJC. And if you need a rental car at SJC anyway, SMF isn't too bad but it is a bit of a drive (2-1/2 hours each way via 5/205/580/680 IIRC).

Which, if you want an adventure, fly into LAX or SMF and take Amtrak to SJC.

Judy905 and MSYgirl like this.
  8. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice catch, I don't know how I missed that. I haven't been through DTW in years but DFW almost monthly it seems.

Southwest has a RT for $624 and is still steep. OAK is running around $648. LAX is $424 on Southwest. SMF $637. If LAX works and you can take the train, that might be a good option as mikeschu mentioned. Prices above are based on Sunday, March 2 - Thursday, March 6.

9. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Trains from LAX run ~11 hours if you go through the Central Valley and ~15 hours if you take the Coast Starlight. The problem is that you'd be looking effectively at a forced overnight at LAX, which would completely run up the cost of the trip to where flying directly into SJC becomes reasonable (or even renting a car from LAX).

Only other train option that may work is via RNO, but I know those trains are not very often (1/day IIRC).

Counsellor and MSYgirl like this.
  10. Judy905

Judy905 Active Member

Status Points:
    Great ideas, guys! I also found out if I book through Delta Vacations, I can get flight/hotel/car for almost the same price as a Delta flight. Still considering options...

MSYgirl likes this.
  11. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Reno train arrives at Oakland and, in my experience (one trip) can be subject to substantial delays.

Counsellor, mikeschu and MSYgirl like this.
  12. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    How's your point balance? This is one of those times that 25k points may be worth using over $600.

Counsellor and MSYgirl like this.