Last min PQM for UAL Platinum?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by davidtraveler, Dec 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. davidtraveler

davidtraveler New Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I am new to Milepoint and travel forums...hope this is valuable and someone can help: I am 881 miles short of Platinum MileagePlus status on UAL. I cannot do a "mileage run" and the accelerator costs are pricey (and for min 3k miles). Anyone have insight into how to get these final miles or ask UAL to honor Platinum status? Thanks!

2. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Accelerator and MRs are the only options, unfortunately! Where are you based? An MR may not be as difficult as you'd imagine.

JoeCortez and MSYgirl like this.
  3. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! :)

4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Once upon a time, miles earned with UA credit cards could be redeemed 10-to-1 for EQMs, in 10k/1k increments. Instead of "miles", they called them "choices". If you have a sufficiently old UA card (e.g. the Select card), you might want to see if that option is still available.

5. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Book a short flight (900 miles or so), buy the eqm's, canex the ticket.

If you don't have time to fly and want the status level, suck it up and pay for it.

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

6. davidtraveler

davidtraveler New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tips. MR not an option. I do have an old "choices" card: the 10k/1k option seems to have been eliminated this year. So accelerator seems to be it: unfortunately min purchase is 3k at $1200. So questions now: is it worth $1200 for Platinum vs. Gold status?

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only you can answer that question. We don't know how rich you are, how tall you are (thus value you put on upgrades), how often you will benefit from award change fare waivers etc.

I personally will most likely drop to Gold after 2014 (MM status). I would not hand UA $1200 for Platinum.