Last Flight of 744 from SQ Fleet?

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by SQ LPP, Oct 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand that JFK is the last destination of SQ 744 in North America, precisely on 15 January 2012. But when and where the last SQ 744 will depart? Been hearing from other sites, and hope it's true. The last SQ744 will depart from SIN on 24 March to MEL, and will depart from MEL back to SIN on 25 March.
    Is this true? An end of 744 would be something significant in SQ world. Hopefully some SQ flyers would be part of those last flight.

2. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't recall the exact count, but my memories tell me SQ once had 20+ 744s in their fleet. For many years those aircrafts flew thrice daily for both the LHR & SYD routes. It also for many years flew the SIN-TPE-LAX vv route and for a few years even flew the SIN-SEL-YVR vv route. One of the advantages SQ had in not reconfiguring their 744s with the the new F/J/Y is that people can know beforehand what product they are getting by choosing the 744 flight. Unlike CX whose 2-year process of retrofitting their 744s with the new hard product led to many customers venting their frustration and anger as a result of becoming a victim of last minute a/c switching into the the 744 configuration with the old seats during that period.
    I would be surprised if you are not onboard the final Megatop flight. :) Considering you've done the innagural SIN-LAX (345), SIN-EWR (345), 77W (SIN-CDG), the finale ex-YVR departure, etc

3. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    The day when it happens will be a sad day indeed :( I still remember my first "Megatop" flight was SQ153 in 1994 and the last was SQ865 in 2008 onboard 9V-SPE.

4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember very fondly slumberette #1 on SQ 747's during the late 1970's when #1 was a small bedroom, precursor of the suites of today, but on the upper deck. I reserved it every time and almost always got it. There were other beds, but only one bedroom.

Frankly, with the A380 here, the 744 is certainly obsolescent. I will not miss them much beyond this post. The 748 will be soo long, but I somehow doubt it will match A380 for passenger comfort or operational efficiency. The B787 and A350 will both have better humidity control and other passenger environmental quality so they'll both be nicer to fly in than the 744. At least I believe that.

5. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, this slumberette #1 sounds very intriguing. Is there any chance you have a photo of it?

6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just looked for one because i wanted to post it. I do have an old photo somewhere, but remember these used an ancient technology called 'film' thus must be recovered from things called 'photo albums' of which we have hundreds. I'll post it if I ever find it.

7. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1...I never even knew about this. Tried googling and couldn't find anything either.

8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I found a few notes and letters from the era (that was a very popular location) but no photos. A few nostalgic comment fron Australia, Bahrain and Singapore but still no photos of the interior. I found the ones of the upper deck lounges of PanAm and Qantas, but no slumberettes! Sorry.

9. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    It always sad when a classic aircraft is retired from the fleet.

However the new series of 747-8 can take up the banner. :D

10. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isnt Boeing stating that the 748 will be more fuel efficient and transport pax for less than the A380...? I could swear to have read something like this from the Boeing website.... or....?

General_Flyer likes this.
  11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    As Ive posted elsewhere... I am very very very surprised that Boeing will allow SQ to just retire their 747s and not have those replaced with any of the new generation 748's.... its clear that the A380 will be a big part of the SQ fleet... but that there is nothing left at SQ for the 748 is something that I thought that Boeing would never allow... :eek:

General_Flyer, LETTERBOY and NYBanker like this.
  12. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another last flight would be fun, but at the moment chances are low I can make the last SQ 744 flights.

General_Flyer likes this.
  13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sq has been done with 747s for a long time. Removing the megatop brand was a sure sign...

General_Flyer and Gaucho like this.
  14. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes... that would seem so and I dont mean to dispute that fact.

I am still amazed, however, that Boeing could not find a creative way to entice SQ to somehow still be a relevant operator of what would still seem to be their flagship aircraft. Lufthansa, to set an example, is an important A380 operator but from what I read will be taking on 747-800s.... so why not SQ....? Im no industry expert, but it would seem that in the select group of full service/premium airlines, SQ is one of the carriers that sets trends, so the fact that SQ will drop the 747 entirely has to have some relevant impact on the 747 brand going forward.... or...?

Pehaps the fact that Boeing appears to not have done its best effort to keep SQ onboard just means that Boeing does not believe in the ultra large aircraft as a concept and has decided that the market will favour large aircraft like the 777 over the ultra large ones like the A380. I guess time will tell if the A380 program will be profitable... and, then the interesting question would be... if in 6-8 years the world economy gets out of its woes and goes on turbo growth again, will there be room for a B797 (?) to rival the A380 or does Boeing need to take the 777 supersonic....?

I will now stop selling hot air I dont own and know nothing about and let the experts opine.... :oops:

General_Flyer and NYBanker like this.
  15. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't able to get a seat on that one but I am flying out on the second to last flight on Jan 14. Close enough is it acceptable for UNited flyers to partake or is this limited to SQ flyers only;)

16. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, of course someone doesn't need to be an SQ flyer to be on the last or first flight. ;)
    Enjoy your trip on the 14th of January 2012!

17. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks I will :)

I fully intend on flying on an SQ A380 at some point in time too