Laser Pointing Web Page Launched

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, Oct 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Laser_Pointing_Web_Page_Launched_205656-1.html

The FAA has launched a page on its website to allow laser-pointing incidents to be reported online. Although penalties for shining a handheld laser at an aircraft have been beefed up (fines can be as high as $11,000) the number of reported incidents continues to climb. As of this month, there were about 2,800 reported incidents. Although there have been no reported crashes directly attributable to laser pointing, the FAA says it's serious business that warrants a serious response. "Lasers can distract or temporarily blind pilots who are trying to fly safely to their destinations and could compromise the safety of hundreds of passengers," FAA Administrator Randy Babbitt told delegates to an Airline Pilots Association-sponsored conference on the topic last week.

Read More: http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Laser_Pointing_Web_Page_Launched_205656-1.html

2. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great.....now the idiots have another reason.....

sobore and Jimgotkp like this.
  3. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I take this one very seriously, on two levels.

Firstly, there is indeed the potential for dazzling effect, especially during dark-sky conditions when pilots' eyes are most dark-adapted.

Secondly, many hand-held weapon systems have laser sights. Has anyone stopped to consider the unsettling effect of wondering whether a bullet or something larger is about to follow that bright beam?

I already have a laser injury to one eye (my non-leading eye, thank goodness!) and the prospect of laser strikes just gives me the shudders. Particularly in the case of high-powered green lasers, what legitimate reason does anyone have for possessing such a thing?

Yours very thoughtfully,

Mevlannen

javacodeguy and sobore like this.
  4. kziel

kziel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nothing pisses me off more than tuning into ATC (or less often ch9) and hearing reports of laser illuminations. I don't see what drives a person to do something do incredibly stupid. Thankfully no one that I know of had been seriously injured, but it is still dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

sobore likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Forget $$ penalties... Eye for an eye... You get caught lasering an airplane, you get lasered yourself.

Not sure if I am joking.

How often do these idiots actually get caught?

6. kziel

kziel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recall seeing stats on arrests somewhere, but the FAA doesn't appear to have stats other than illumination events, which were nearly 2,900 last year, and I can't find that page.
    I'm surprised they manage to catch any because it seems like such an easy thing to just do and then disappear.
    I'm sure you can find many stories on google, here is one of many http://www.laserpointersafety.com/news/news/aviation-incidents.php

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's exactly why I asked.

Why is mail theft punishable by prison and interfering with the safety of a commercial airliner nets you a fine of up to $11k?