Las Vegas - NCAA tourney

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by m_tschanz, Feb 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. m_tschanz

m_tschanz Active Member

Status Points:
    Have been a long time lurker but just starting to post -- go easy on me.

Headed to LV for opening round of NCAA tourney with some college buddies. Plan on staying at Aria (thanks to Hyatt/ Mlife partnership) but wanted to poll the audience for suggestions on good restaurants (beyond the obvious Michelin starred) and any other tips.

We are virtually all mid 30s and married so not the crazy that would have happened 10-15 years ago. Thx

TUMD and MSYgirl like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    How much are you guys willing to spend?

MSYgirl likes this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hotel:
    Book through Virtuoso or AMEX FHR at Aria for the added benefits if those rates are somewhat the same as the mLife rates.

Restaurants:

Happy Hour:
    American Fish at Aria
    Julian Serrano at Aria
    The Pub at Monte Carlo

Sit-Down:
    L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon at MGM Grand
    Wolfgang Puck at MGM Grand
    Tom Colicchio’s Craftsteak at MGM Grand
    Lemongrass at Aria
    Estiatorio Milos at Cosmopolitan (awesome lunch special)

Buffet:
    Aria’s Buffet
    Wicked Spoon at Cosmopolitan

MSYgirl likes this.
  4. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been a while, but the Craftsteak at MGM dinner we had with our friends from California was delicious, well presented, with good sized portions. Steaks were done as we had requested and very tender. Everything on the menu is a la carte, so be prepared for $$$$. Many other steakhouses have come along since then, so there's more to compare.

5. m_tschanz

m_tschanz Active Member

Status Points:
    $300-$400 double occupy

6. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Canaletto at the Venetian is a renamed Il Fornaio, with a nice happy hour menu.

In general, I would take the opportunity to introduce your buddies to Cirque du Soleil. Zarkana, their newest show in Vegas, is arguably the best; I recommend it highly (also: it's at the Aria!). Those into stupid-silly theater tech will appreciate Ka. Consider Mystere, for which discount tickets are usually available. Avoid Criss Angel like the plague. I'd skip La Reve (not actually Cirque, but designed by a Cirque alum) at the Wynn. O is impressive, but tickets are never discounted.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd even consider MGM Grand's Marquee Suites since they have two bedrooms and a huge living room. They usually cost $650+ but they can fit a lot of people. Just note that MGM Grand doesn't do rollaway beds anymore

8. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Ah man, the March Madness rush. Have a great ... jealous.

Like above, i've had positive meals at Craftsteak a few times, pretty consistent. I could also highly recommend CUT, another steak house. Close to Aria is China Poblano at the Cosmopolitan Hotel right next door. Pretty casual but the menu is pretty interesting without being too stuffy. While I know some have had service problems at Citizen's (Mandalay Bay) I've actually been lucky enough to have a number of good meals here at it's more of a 24-hour thing and depending on the games and such, this may work better for you that a more formal place. And I know that it may not seem foody enough, when I'm with 30-somethings we've always walked over to the Hard Rock Hotel and had good meals at Pink Taco. And the crowd was pretty good to be around. There's almost too many but this is my typical run of things. For breakfast, I always head to Hash House A Go Go, located in the quad or if you've been to Vegas a lot ... the old Imperial Palace.

9. m_tschanz

m_tschanz Active Member

Status Points:
    Wanted to thank everyone for their input. Much appreciated!

10. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll floating down along the strip on the second weekend!
    I know the beer joints not the restaurants!

11. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:

Did you still find time to hit the Red Rooster? Hidden gem!