Largest credit card fraud indictment in history: take care!

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by jbcarioca, Oct 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    jwsky likes this.
  2. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    wow... some scheme. I wonder how much these guys cost the insurance companies..... :eek:

LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    We probably will never know, but teh banks will swallow a lot of it themselves as will some processors, I imagine.

LETTERBOY and Gaucho like this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    ah.... the famous exclusion clauses for coverage....

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, and the idiots spelled Qantas wrong in the indictment.

6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are not MilePointers, that's for sure!

Gaucho likes this.
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The linked PDF crashes FF and won't load in IE. Could you post the gist of it here?

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I copied the first bit from the PDF -

111 INDIVIDUALS CHARGED IN MASSIVE INTERNATIONAL IDENTITY THEFT
    AND COUNTERFEIT CREDIT CARD OPERATION BASED IN QUEENS

Bank Tellers, Store Employees And Restaurant Workers Allegedly Skimmed Customers’ Personal I.D.; Shoppers
    Allegedly Sent On Nationwide Shopping Sprees With Counterfeit Credit Cards To Buy High-End Goods That
    Were Later Fenced; Fake Cards Allegedly Used to Purchase Tickets and Board Airplanes
    Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown, joined by Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly,
    today announced that 111 individuals have been indicted in the largest identity theft takedown in U.S.
    history. The defendants, members of five organized forged credit card and identity theft rings based in
    Queens County and having ties to Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East, are charged in ten indictments
    with stealing the personal credit information of thousands of unwitting American and European consumers
    and costing these individuals, financial institutions and retail businesses more than $13 million in losses over
    a 16-month period. Eighty-six of the defendants are in custody and twenty-five are presently being sought.

In addition, nearly two dozen of the defendants are variously charged in six indictments with
    participating in burglaries and robberies throughout Queens County. For example, four defendants are
    charged with conspiring to commit a bank robbery in Forest Hills. Five are charged with stealing more than
    $95,000 worth of cargo from Kennedy Airport and seven are accused of stealing approximately $850,000
    worth of computer equipment from the Citigroup Building in Long Island City.

“This is by far the largest – and certainly among the most sophisticated – identity theft/credit card
    fraud cases that law enforcement has come across,” said District Attorney Brown. “Credit card fraud and
    identity theft are two of the fastest growing crimes in the United States, afflicting millions of victims and
    costing billions of dollars in losses to consumers, businesses and financial institutions. Many of the
    defendants charged today are accused of going on nationwide shopping sprees, staying at five-star hotels,
    renting luxury automobiles and private jets, and purchasing tens of thousands of dollars worth of high-end
    electronics and expensive handbags and jewelry with forged credit cards that contained the account
    information of unsuspecting consumers. Even after the culprits are caught and prosecuted, their victims are
    still faced with the difficult task of having to repair their credit ratings and financial reputations. In some
    cases, that process can take years.”

9. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just as a data point, G it opened fine for me in FF, and I was able to scroll through it.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    is that good or bad......? :p

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if it was coincidental, but a couple of days before this story came out, one of my cc's was locked and they called me to tell me they would be replacing my card with a new number. very mysterious.....

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That happens whenever your card number is stored in a compromised database, among other times, so if a merchant , processor, merchant bank (acquirer) or card issuing bank (issuer) have any compromise they usually replace all possibly affected cards without waiting for actual fraud to happen. It also sometimes happens if a given merchant you have patronised has had any fraud at POS, again even if your own card seems unaffected. Most of the time the customer service agents with whom customers talk do not even know why themselves so it does have a mysterious air.

Better safe than sorry.

LETTERBOY and canucklehead like this.
  13. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    That never would have happened in Brooklyn but it is not surprising in Qeens.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is certainly true. Illiterates normally do not spell at all. At least in Queens they often have basic literacy.:p ...the immigrants anyway.

15. jk2
    Original Member

jk2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My Citi ThankYou Premier Card was also compromised recently. This is 2 month old card and I don't use this card often (10 purchases/month). On last Saturday, I got a call from CITI saying that they `see` two strange transactions that they would like to verify (still don't understand how they caught this). The charges were relatively small - ~$30 at Proactive solutions and ~$45 at other place. So, I had to close this card and they will reissue a new one (the only problem is that I planned to make a big purchase next week in order to reach $2K limit for getting sign up bonus of 50K TYP.

jbcarioca likes this.