Large Purchase Coming... Which AMEX(s) to get???

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Dad to GO, Aug 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,

I am going to have a large purchase of about $30K in the next month and want to maximize my "return" as much as possible. I am only interested in getting an AMEX card(s) as I already have recently gotten Chase and Citi and don't want to apply for those again. I also do not have ANY AMEX cards other than the Citi AMEX.

It is possible for me to break the 30K spend up over multiple cards so if there are a couple AMEX cards that you guys recommend I could possibly do that as well. The only card I was thinking about getting so far was the SPG card while it has a 30K bonus.

Thanks,

Gary

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your timing is right for both the business and personal SPG Amex cards since their bonuses are increased for a few more weeks. Seems like a really easy way to end up with a nice amount of SPG points to me. 60K bonuses from the two cards plus 30K from spending. Turning a 30K purchase into 90K SPG points doesn't sound half-bad to me.

MX, IDGflygirl, Mikus33 and 3 others like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would second the comments and perhaps you can check to see if it is possible to get the 75k bonus for the gold business card.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    or get the Delta Reserve card; 10k MQM on first purchase; another 25k MQM when you spend $30k.

25k MQM = Delta Silver ...

but yeah i thin SPG is a better option

MX and mommypoints like this.
  5. tahsir21

tahsir21 Z Representative

Status Points:
    I would recommend putting $5,000 on each new spg card to get 70K points. Then, if you have an ink bold, do some gift card purchasing with $10,000 giving you 60,000 more points. for the last 10, either put it on one of the spg cards to get gold status or double dip again to get another 60k points
    total haul: 70K SPG + 120K Chase Ultimate Rewards!

I talk about it more here..
    http://www.bengalimilesguru.com/archives/124/double-dip-your-way-to-a-almost-free-trip/

creds go to frequent miler :)

pnoeric and IDGflygirl like this.
  6. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can break up the purchase that many times it is a good plan, but I personally wouldn't just run out and load up on $10K of gift cards at once. However, I am a bit conservative on that.......

IDGflygirl likes this.
  7. RPG

RPG Active Member

Status Points:
    SPG Personal.

Mikus33 likes this.
  8. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm with you mommy points. I try to keep my gift card purchases to $1000 a month... maybe that's to conservative? I'm thinking I could get the SPG personal and business for myself and also possibly my wife? That word be 120k SPG plus 10k in referral and 30k spend... so 160k total? Do you believe that this is better than trying to get the Amex gold?

Thanks!

MX, mommypoints and IDGflygirl like this.
  9. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if you care about foreign transaction fees, but the SPG AmEx charges 3%, so unless you already have a card that is free of forex transaction fees, you might want to check into at least one card that waives them. Otherwise, I, too, recommend the SPG AmEx personal & biz cards, esp. w/the current increased bonus!

10. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that is a fantastic idea! If you can split the purchase 4 times, then absolutely that is the way to go. Get the biz and personal for you as soon as you can. Then refer her for both. 30K from purchases, plus 10K in referrals, plus 120K from the four bonuses. 160K total. That can't be beat. Yes, I do think that is a better plan in this case than getting the Amex Gold (unless of course you want MR points more than SPG points to meet your goals, but only you can determine that). Otherwise, case closed. ;)

IDGflygirl, pnoeric and edekba like this.
  11. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am learning so much from his thread...

MX, mommypoints and Mikus33 like this.
  12. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Re: buying visa gift cards & paying with them

Do you need any sort of purchase protection on said $30K purchase? Important thing to consider.

mommypoints likes this.
  13. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    the american express prepaid has purchase protection built in i believe.

infamousdx and IDGflygirl like this.
  14. tahsir21

tahsir21 Z Representative

Status Points:
    thats true, if you can break up the 30k spend over a few months, then 2,500 in gift cards wouldnt hurt per month. Other than that, the idea of getting 4 spg cards is actually a really good idea!

15. FrugalAsianMan

FrugalAsianMan Silver Member

Status Points:
    You mentioned "purchase", singular. If it's just a single-ticket item that you're purchasing, I would highly encourage that you look to see if the merchant or the item itself is something that would get you bonus points for any of the credit cards. (i.e. does the merchant count as an office supply store? is it a major computer manufacturer that has a bonus points deal with one of the credit card shopping malls? etc.) If you disclose a little bit more info about the purchase, I'm sure the MP Community can guide you a bit on it. (Although chances are, if it's a single $30k item, it's probably not something that'll be generating extra rewards....)

My personal choice to put a $30k item, if I wasn't able to get any other bonus rewards from the merchant on it, would be to put it on my SPG Business AMEX card and my SPG Personal AMEX card. Depending on what your limits on each are, you may or may not need to split it onto a third card. Check with the merchant to see how many cards they'll let you split the payment to. If the # of cards is a problem, then consider simply charging everything to an AMEX Gold Business charge card or else the Chase Ink Bold charge card. Both are "charge cards" that have "soft" credit limits.

That means there's no "hard" limit on it. Just call AMEX before you make the purchase and let them know you want to make a $30k purchase and they'll make sure to clear it so that it goes through. Just keep in mind you'll need to pay off the full amount at the end of your statement period.

The reason why I chose the SPG cards and the Ink Bold card first is because I SPG points are valued at 1.25 points per $1 you spend since for every 20,000 points you accumulate and want to transfer over to an airline, you get a 5,000 point bonus. Both SPG and Ink Bold's Ultimate Rewards have a 1:1 transfer ratio with most airlines. (A definite plus in my book; giving you more flexibility on what you want to do with the points later.)

In the end, I think it ultimately depends on what your goals are here. Do you need more airline points? Hotel points? Or do you just want more points to be flexible and to send off somewhere later? I think SPG and Ink Bold gives you the best of all three worlds. But if you wanted more points with a specific airline or hotel, and you have a credit card for that program, you might just want to opt with that being one of your cards.

IDGflygirl and edekba like this.
  16. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    while technically true; just because you inform them that you'll be charging x amount ... that doesn't necessarily means that they'll approve the transaction. There is a "soft" credit limit and anything over depends upon your relationship w/the creditor (ie history of payments, history of usage, annual credit review, etc).

for example if you have a $2,000 Amex Green and you call them up and say "Hey I wanna buy a Honda Civic w/my amex. My Uncle just gifted me $30k" I doubt Amex will allow it without verifing that you do have the income to support that purchase prior to approving it.

All this goes moot if you have a Centurion however, as those "soft" limits are usually 6 figure plus.

IDGflygirl likes this.