Large images and display size

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Gargoyle, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've noticed how large images are resized to fit the browser window, which is great. On other sites they can force the browser window to stretch very wide.

I also see there is no notice during image upload of a max file size. I spotted one example where the uploaded image was 2,256px × 1,496px but the display was scaled to 780px × 517px. Click the display and the full image appears. Great functionality, but it raises a big question.

That image was about 880k. Does that mean every time someone loads that page, their browser d/l's an 880 k image file, or does MP automatically create a smaller, lighter weight version? If the former, then I think you need to put a limit on image upload size.

Freddie Listo, kiwi and SC Flier like this.
  2. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to use Photoshop to reduce the image size when I wanted to post something online, email it, etc. I don't have access to PS on this computer. What are others using to turn high-res photos into low-res ones? I'm guessing my Sony Vaio, running Office, has something that will do this, but I'm not recognizing it. Thanks for any useful suggestions.

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Check into Paint Shop Pro. I haven't used it in years, but it has a good reputation.
    They have iPad and iPhone versions, full version is $69, but you can get older versions for less.
    Also PaintShop Photo Express is $39.
    http://store1.corel.com/corel/subCategory.jsp?cat=cat3430093

They also list Photo Impact, for $29

Freddie Listo likes this.
  4. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for that. I have Paint. I know it's not intended to be a photo editor. Do you know if I should be able to do it using that?

5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Last time I looked at Paint it was really limited. I think you can find an old version of Paint Shop Pro for free download, since it started out as shareware. Look for JASC versions from before Corel bought it.

Freddie Listo likes this.
  6. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    FastStone Photo Resizer -- I like it for batch resizing and renaming.

I also use GIMP for certain image needs, though it is absolutely NOT intended to be a replacement for PS! I used GIMP to create my avatar.

Freddie Listo and Gargoyle like this.
  7. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Status Points:

Thanks SCF! I am loving the helpful information exchange here. Cheers all--especially to Randy!

Gargoyle likes this.