Lap child policy change

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Jun 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Effective for tickets issued on or after May 27, 2012, Delta’s policy for infant travel has been amended as follows:

Infants who reach their 2nd birthday during their journey (mid-trip) will be required to occupy a seat and purchase a roundtrip ticket at the applicable fare for the entire journey for all domestic and international travel on or after May 27, 2012.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  2. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    "mid-trip" -- What if their final leg is a redeye that departs on the eve of their 2nd birthday?

"Infants ... will be required to ... purchase a roundtrip ticket...."
    Does Delta not require the purchaser to be at least 18? ;)

MSPeconomist likes this.
  3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    How will Delta be able to determine this? Can't look at a driver's license !

From a safety standpoint, it makes a lot of sense.

DTWBOB

MSPeconomist likes this.
  4. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    If this change sticks, it should make DL a good bit of extra cash judging from the number of lap children I've seen lately.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    On international, it is easy. On domestic, not so much. And as we know, "if the baby is still nursing" isn't a determinative factor :p

6. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Umm, technically, my child doesn't turn 2 yo until 9:47PM ET, and since our plane is scheduled to land at 3:30pm..."
    :D

7. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    as a recent issue of Time mag put on their cover <lol>

DTWBOB

8. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

9. John Brundage

John Brundage Active Member

Status Points:
    Have you seen the size of some of these "lap children" lately? They have been getting a lot bigger. Probably a good crack down.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  10. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    If we're going by size my baby could pull off being a lap child until 3 years old :D. She's a peanut!

11. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay so seriously don't the parents have to declare the child's age for this? What parent is going to be like "oh yeah she turns 2 a couple of days before we come back so we'll throw down an extra $300-400 so she can have her own seat. Definitely 2 should be a cutoff but this "new rule" seems kind of unenforceable. I guess it will be arbitrary like the "you have to pay for two seats because you're too fat for one" rule.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it?

http://www.delta.com/planning_reser...s/services_for_children/child_fares/index.jsp

Delta is committed to upholding your child's safety and will permit only infants under the age of two (24 months old) to sit in their parents lap in flight. Please be ready to provide documentation verifying your child's age at check in (passport, birth certificate, etc).

13. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once again, DL has messed up their policies. Bolding & Underlining Mine
    Below that in "Travel Between Countries":
    So which is it?

MSPeconomist likes this.
  14. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It may be that infants must be ticketed passengers on international flights (and are responsible for various immigration fees, etc.) but not necessarily seat occupying ticketed passengers.

mtkeller likes this.
  15. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta agent to child: Are you two years old?
    Child: No!!!
    Delta agent to parent: You're 2-year-old will have to purchase a roundtrip ticket.

mtkeller and Bay Pisco Shark like this.
  16. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Or the kid starting to hold up fingers and saying "I'm THIS many" as the mother performs an emergency amputation.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  17. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm speaking of in practice vs. the written rule. I don't think there are many people asking for birth certificates unless it's very apparent a child is over 2.

18. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I foresee elementary kids needing to have their SkyMiles accounts adjusted or replaced in order to get their birthdate corrected after parents initially set them up with false birthdates in order to say that they were slightly younger than 2. I assume that this probably already happens sometimes. Or does this dependably trigger TSA searches of 2 year olds by names and birthdates not matching some database?

MSPeconomist and Sean Colahan like this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You said it's unenforceable. It absolutely is enforceable if Delta wants it to be enforceable. Just as any other rule such as checked baggage and caryy-on limits, boarding order, ...

Lap children don't earn miles, so why would parents set up accounts for them until they fly on their own miles-earning tickets?

20. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    True. I guess what I wrote and what I meant were two different things. I was speaking to the practicality and if this amended rule will change anything. How often are gate agents getting into arguments over whether a child turns 2 during a trip and how often will this amended rule actually come into play. I haven't tried to fly with my child but I didn't realize I should be carrying around her birth certificate with me when I fly places. I'm guessing the birth certificate and proof of age/ID comes into play during egregious cases rather than someone who misses a cutoff by a couple of days. You are correct that it is enforceable but maybe currently isn't enforced often such as carry on limits etc.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. And I don't know how much of a problem (or extra revenue generator) it would be for Delta to make it worthwhile. Carry on limits seem to be the bigger problem worth solving.

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/would-fees-discourage-oversized-carry-on-bags.37440/
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/05/b...-fee-for-oversized-carry-ons-on-the-road.html

22. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    You've outed me for not having children. ;)

I was imagining that lap infants had to be "declared" at some point during the ticketing process with their name and birthdate. That doesn't seem to be the case from what I've seen so far. Some infants certainly get miles-earning itineraries for some trips (when flights are longer or seats are cheaper, for example) and then infant-in-lap itineraries for other trips, though. They'd be on record, though I doubt that those records would be easily accessible to a GA.

I never did send a complaint to Delta last fall about my frustrating 3 1/2 hour flight next to a lap infant in paid F. The infant wasn't the really annoying one; it was the mother who griped the whole time about how she couldn't believe that she didn't get an empty seat next to her like when she flies on AirTran. She's "never flying Delta again."

23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I read the rules yesterday. Easier than having children :)

What do you expect Delta to do about that! Hopefully that lady will choose AirTran next ime.

24. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    As AirTran will no longer have F in a short time, she may be on DL as it appears she purchased F

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  25. DCAview
    Original Member

DCAview Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't have thought so, but my nephew was almost required to buy a seat on a recent United STL-EWR flight because my sister-in-law wasn't travelling with his birth certificate and so she couldn't *prove* he's under two. He was six months old at the time (and a small baby, too) -- this wasn't a close case.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.