Lap Child Pains. And Turning to Twitter always seems to help.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Muerl, Oct 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So this a note I sent in to UA Customer Care. In the grand tradition of the internet I am sharing it here.

I know that part of this issue is that I booked an award ticket before my son was born, and so I was adding this in after the fact, but it bothers me that it was this much of a mess.

Anyway, for everyone out there with Lap Children, don't trust the agent.

iolaire and MX like this.
  2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or, maybe, just don't trust United!

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've found that for specific reservations issues the Twitter team can be very, very good. Dealing with a delay yesterday they were very forthcoming with specific details about cause of a delayed inbound and possibility of a crew swap, helping me to make a much more informed decision than I wouldn't been able to do with just the info available at the gate. For more general topics they're not nearly as good, but I'm learning (slowly) to get over that.

flyforawg and vickers like this.
  4. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to see frequent travelers on here who do not cringe at that thought of a child in lap. My wife just flew up to visit her family and I worried about her treatment from other passengers. My year old daughter was in her lap and my 2 year old son was in the seat beside her. But she reported back that it was a nice flight and many people were friendly and offered her help. Southwest flight. And they were kind enough to grant me a gate pass to see her off and help her get to the gate.

5. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    No mention yet of the brutal pain you will experience from having a lap child all the way to NZ :) It was bad when I did it DEN-ORD last week!

6. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lets NOT remind me of that. Any Advice other than "Feed them on the way up and on the way down"

On the way back I will manage to make 2 long haul business cabins angry at me, but at least for that I am booked into bassinet seats and have lie flat seats of my own.

7. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Honestly, try to remember that everybody was a kid once, so when people glare at you because (gasp) your kid isn't thrilled about flying try to take it with a grain of salt. The best you can do is just to show that you're trying to comfort the kid.

You could also get a custom t-shirt made that says, "YES, I realize my baby is crying".

Muerl and flyforawg like this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This. :-:

Showing that you're trying to address the issue is huge. Even if it ultimately is unsuccessful at least people know you're trying.

LETTERBOY, Muerl and flyforawg like this.