Langham acquires The Observatory Hotel, Sydney

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by uggboy, Jun 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Langham acquires The Observatory Hotel, Sydney ||

This is a big surprise announcement, now Langham is growing in the Australian market while Orient Express is out of the country, first loosing Lilianfels to the Luxury Collection by Starwood and now the Observatory was bought outright by Langham. We wonder what Orient Express is up to.:confused:

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:

3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at the Observatory, most recently twice a few years ago.

This hotel is very tired inside, has poor staff morale, and needs quite a bit of work both on soft and hard product to even begin to compete in the Sydney market. Good luck to the new owners!

uggboy likes this.
  4. hotelsallover

hotelsallover Silver Member

Status Points:
    Joing a chain might be a good move for the hotel. I don't really know anything Langham though.

uggboy likes this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the moment the Observatory is "all sizzle, no steak"- if Langham can change that good on them.

uggboy likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been a while, but I liked the Observatory and I'm not happy to see Langham get them. It's a small and low profile chain IMO and not one of which I have a particularly positive impression.

Let's not forget that Orient Express at one time had a very fancy train along the east coast of Australia with helicopter excursions to the Great Barrier Reef. It seemed very different in style from their national railroad excursion train running north/south in the center through the outback (Adelaide to Darwin, IIRC, with stops at places like Alice Springs).

uggboy likes this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's wrong with Langham, would like to hear more, had you any negative experiences with them?

8. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently stayed at the Langham in Melbourne. It had a kind of Ritz Carlton feel in terms of the decor, lobby style. Service was good and I would stay there again. Of course, that's a pretty limited range of experience.

Princess Fiona and uggboy like this.
  9. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Princess Fiona Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 For Langham Melbourne. I've stayed here quite a few times and always loved it. The Exec Lounge is fantastic, staff warm and welcoming and if they can replicate this in Sydney then that will be wonderful.
    Of course I don't stay as often as I'd like due to having to keep my HH Diamond sob, sob :(

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

uggboy likes this.