Landing at wrong airport on the way to Branson

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by daninstl, Jan 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/13/southwest-airlines-flight-lands-at-wrong-mo-airport/

A Southwest Airlines flight that was scheduled to arrive Sunday night at Branson Airport in southwest Missouri instead landed at an airport 7 miles north -- with a runway half the size of the intended destination.

Southwest Airlines Flight 4013, carrying 124 passengers and five crew members, was scheduled to go from Chicago's Midway International Airport to Branson Airport, airline spokesman Brad Hawkins said in a statement late Sunday. But the Boeing 737-700 landed about 7 miles northeast at Taney County Airport, which is also known as M. Graham Clark Downtown Airport.

So if your not aware of this area. There is a long term (sort of) dispute between Branson and Springfield. They are only about a 45 minute or so drive apart. Springfield has had a fairly decent airport there for years. A few years back Springfield and Branson starting battling to build a new airport because of the increase in vacation passengers going to Branson. So what did they do they "got together" and built separate new airports instead of one really good one between the two cities. Makes since. Well maybe not to SW so they decided to split the difference and instead of landing at BKG or SGF and instead set a 737 down at PLK which is at Point Lookout Missouri. At least they didn't set a 747 down there so they should be able to get back out :)

2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The real problem is ATC should have had his hand if he was on IFR flight plan, and the pilot should have had his eyes on the instruments, ILS VOR and an HSI, set up.

That is why they carry approach plates,

You have a runway not wide enough and a cliff at the end to fall over.

It was not this flight crews best day, someone will be out of a seat real fast, and he was lucky.

viguera and daninstl like this.
  3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    satman40 likes this.
  4. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    WN serving BKG was never a great idea. I can understand the lure, but the flights are so inexpensive and not full most of the time. From MDW, I usually get a far of $89 to $129 one way. Flying from ORD to SGF (nearby-45 min) runs me $350-$450 one way on United. This "downtown" airport where the plane landed is where the Avis rental car facility is, so I take the shuttle from BKG every time I fly in. This airport iis tiny and houses very little, I know there is a helicopter outfit there and the Avis. That's about it. BKG will most likely close in the next year or two, because just a couple flights a day will not keep a private airport operational. Too bad really.