LAN South America Itinerary Help

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by ossipago, Nov 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm starting this late, but I decided to use up my BA miles while I can in South America while the going is still good.

But I need help. I've been accumulating miles but have never spent any!

Can anyone advise if this itinerary looks ok at first glance? All flights show as available on BA's website, so I assume they are really available (and I'll just have to call to book - $20 fee is fine).

NYC-LIM(stop)-IPC(stop)-SCL(destination, stop))-MDZ-AEP(stop)/EZE-NYC, mid-May

I assume AEP and EZE count as co-terminal airports - routed that way to avoid a reciprocity fee. Will I encounter any others?

Two of us are going, but I only have the 100K BA miles, so it'll be in economy, alas. I wish it were in biz. 80K total, by my understanding.

Do date changes cost anything if I need to make them?

jbcarioca and joesmoe like this.
  2. gujjuglobal
    Original Member

gujjuglobal Active Member

Status Points:
    The itinerary works for sure. I booked three tickets this week in J class. You should be able to avoid the reciprocal fees too using the above itinerary(based on others observations). Had to go thru 4 calls to get it done. I was however able to have BA waive the $20 per passenger fee.

jbcarioca, joesmoe and ossipago like this.
  3. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope the Nov. 16 changeover date is firm. I will have to book this on Monday, as I'm hammering out logistics.

4. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just recently booked a very similiar route myself. You shouldn't have a problem.

How come the other person going didn't get their own card so you both could've gone in biz!?

jbcarioca and ossipago like this.
  5. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also do you not have a 2-4-1 cert?

6. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Status Points:
    1) My SO hates churning cards (right now). I'm new to it myself.
    2) Nope, no way I could have made the 30K spend.

7. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well any partially paid for trip is better than none at all!

Good luck with the booking, don't wait until too late, availability isn't going to last forever.

8. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember the 2-4-1 if you are tallking about the companion spend on the Chase card only applies to BA metal.

9. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Status Points:
    It'll be by eob Monday or not at all ...

10. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Status Points:
    New wrinkle - I have to change my routing to:
    NYC - LIM - IPC - SCL - (back to NYC)

This is to go to CUZ instead of EZE. Is it possible to ever add a LIM-CUZ-LIM leg onto a trip?

Say, NYC - LIM - CUZ - LIM - IPC/IPC - SCL - NYC

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have the exact same routing :D

Unfortunately, you cannot backtrack through LIM to go to CUZ. I already asked them that and they said no, so I am keeping it as JFK-LIM-IPC-SCL.

However, there may be good news on the CUZ front. Right now, BA charges 20K for a RT Y ticket LIM-CUZ-LIM because it is SA domestic. The trip itself is only 330 miles one-way. With the new distance-based chart, I have a gut feeling that this redemption will go way down on 11/16, to between 9K-15K roundtrip depending on how BA's chart is to be read (most likely 9K). This would be a great redemption for a short but usually expensive flight. The cheapest I've found it for is $200 on StarPeru, while LAN is asking $350. 9K miles would be a great redemption to forgo $200 for StarPeru and to stay on LAN since I want to continue to CUZ same-day as my JFK-LIM flight.

ossipago likes this.
  12. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Great minds think alike.

I'll ask the booking agent in the off chance that I can get lucky. If not, I really really hope redemption is 11K or less. I'll only have 22K left over BA miles and need two trips.

13. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I think you're good to go. Here's why:

1) According to GCMap, LIM-CUZ-LIM is 364 miles one-way/729 miles roundtrip.

2) This is the new Iberia award chart, which should be similar to BA's since Avios points are the same for each airline. It says that distances under 650 miles will be 4.5K miles, which has me believe that the round-trip should be 9K BA miles.

I actually don't know where I got 15K miles from. I think I saw the 7.5K chart for 650+ miles and saw that the roundtrip is 729 miles and doubled that, which is false. The maximum the new award should be is 9K BA miles.

Still, I'd try to get it in your main award redemption if possible ... you never know with phone reps! :p

ossipago likes this.
  14. worldtraveller2
    Original Member

worldtraveller2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When are you going? Dates? was there much availability?
    I need to book this, but go thru LAX or SFO

joesmoe likes this.
  15. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For what it's worth, I'm from L.A. and tried to find all sorts of availability from LAX and SFO on LAN in February 2012... it just wasn't happening. The only availability was on AA through MIA, which isn't good since the stopover deal can only happen on LAN.

For weeks where there was absolutely no LAX availability, there were days with 5, 6, even 7 J seats available on LAN from JFK. I ended up booking from there and will just spend a weekend before with friends in the city (+ grab 2500 MQMs on Delta).

My return used AA miles so I had no problem getting to LAX since I could mix partners and fly AA J from JFK (no stopovers, but I already maxed them out on my inbound leg).

joesmoe likes this.
  16. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Status Points:
    Worldtraveller, I am looking in May and finding good availability.

I am still figuring this out. Does anyone recommend NYC-LIM-IPC straight through? I know it's a long flight, but LIM-IPC only runs two days and this is the best for our schedule. Eight hour gap enough? If we miss LIM-IPC, we'll have to reroute SCL-IPC which is much longer and costs me the reciprocity fee (it's fine if I have to, my companion already has the stamp).

On the flight back, can we do IPC-SCL(stop)-LIM(stop; side trip to CUZ)-MIA (or maybe NYC) easy enough? Or is that now allowed because BA flies straight from SCL-NYC?

17. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to butt in, but I just want to double check that JFK-LIM-IPC(stop)-SCL(stop)-PUQ is a valid one way routing. Unconfirmed, but the return would probably be PUQ-SCL-MDZ(stop)-AEP/EZE(stop)-LIM-JFK.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

joesmoe likes this.
  18. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Status Points:
    That seems complicated. I'm not sure.

My first phone call today indicated that availability on BA.com does not match actual availability. Not good. Hope that changes with later calls.

joesmoe likes this.
  19. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How were they different? Just curious, how long were you on hold for?

joesmoe likes this.
  20. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Status Points:
    As in the BA site shows plenty of seats on a flight (no warning about running out) but the rep can't find anything available for weeks in the contingencies I asked about. I did all one-way searches (two in Y) to find the availability on LAN.

joesmoe likes this.
  21. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also, I was told that the tickets on the Web site and the tickets booked through an agent pull from different buckets. As in, once the tickets allotted for agent booking are gone, they are gone, even if the Website has tickets you can book. Really sucks for stopovers.

joesmoe likes this.
  22. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is a stop in the carribean on the way back permitted on any route from south america to united states on LAN? Or does LAN not even fly to SKB?

23. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure LAN doesn't fly there.

http://onw.innosked.com/?show=MAP

24. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I had 2 different agents claim the routing from JFK-LIM-IPC was invalid and they had been told not to book those anymore. So I had to go JFK-SCL-IPC and I have to pay that darned reciprocity fee x 2!

25. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was able to book JFK-SCL-IPC-LIM-JFK no problem in J class direct flights for April 80k points. Ended up as two one way tix, waived phone fee. Longest time was confirming tix pricing, about an hour on the phone mostly on hold listening to the music. Called at 3pm. Total about $130.

YULtide and skit53 like this.