LAN J Award booked via AA - Seat selection failure

Discussion in 'LAN | LANPASS' started by ArizonaGuy, Mar 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The LAN segments are MIA-EZE and EZE-SCL-JFK.

For 4M 4521, AA was able to automatically assign row 2. I haven't attempted manipulating that assignment to see if the problem exists there as well.

For LA 532, AA could not select seats. When I attempt to use lan.com to select a seat, every seat I select gives the usual circle but then returns a message that the seat has just been reserved by someone else, try again. Repeatedly does this no matter what. Any ideas what I can do? Do I have to stoop to calling LAN?

2. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you select for LA 532, does it show the EZE-SCL and SCL-JFK segments as separate? Chances are that the seat you want is occupied by someone on the first segment, then someone else on the second segment.

As I learned last month, through flight doesn't necessarily mean same aircraft with LAN.

3. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    That may be it, I suppose. I cannot select any available seat (which is most of the cabin). It's showing LA532 as one segment EZE-JFK. It's definitely the same aircraft in this case, no change in SCL.

I verified I can change the 4M flight seat assignment with no problem. Just can't get one selected for LA532. I suppose I'll resign myself to calling. I hate calling for simple things.

4. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not a sure thing. I flew LA530 last month (SCL-JFK via LIM) and even though the gate screens said LA 530 - Nueva York at SCL, we had to change planes at LIM and reboard LA530 on another aircraft.

Both 530 and 532 have 80-minutes ground time at their respective intermediate airport, so it might be the same for this.

5. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    What's the flight date?

6. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I considered that. Availability on the individual segments of EZE-JFK on my travel date. Scrubbed the date for security reasons, my trip isn't password protected.

Code:
    EZE  Buenos Aires Ministro Pistarini BA AR [SAEZ]
    SCL  Santiago De Chile Arturo Merino Benitez CL [SCEL]

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
    ---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------
    LA         532     EZE   18:10     SCL   19:30     763      J4 D4 I9 Y9 B9 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 X0
    LA         532     SCL   20:50     JFK   07:40     763      J9 D9 I9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N0 Q9 O0 G0 X0

7. KVS Tool

Status Points:
    Is the seat you are looking for being displayed as Available when you retrieve the Seat Map using the KVS Tool?

If so, then yes, you would need to call LA for assistance.

8. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked my JFK-SCL-GIG roundtrip on LAN using BA miles last fall and BA said I couldn't select seats. We are traveling with two young kids, so I called LAN to see what they could do. The representative I spoke with was very helpful and the process was quite painless. She got me the same seats for all four flights with no problem at all. I wouldn't be afraid to call LAN again for help with seats.

9. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A BA reference number should work on LAN's website for seat selection. An AA booking requires one to call AA and ask for the LAN confirmation code (they're on different systems, forget which one is which).

Also, enjoy the trip with kids, if you are flying in Y, you'll board before J passengers.

10. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't seem to retrieve LA seatmaps through KVS Tool's Amadeus method. I know of no way to view LA seatmaps without booking - can KVS do this for LA and 4M and I assumed incorrectly?

11. KVS Tool

Status Points:
    It should work just fine. For example:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.6/Diamond - Amadeus Seat Map: 01 Apr 2012/LA 532/EZE-JFK/763/Y-Economy]
    Code:
         A   C    |   D   F   H    |   J   L    
    12   -   -        -   -   -        -   -    
    13   -   -        -   -   -        -   -    [W]
    14   -   -        -   -   -        -   -    [W]
    15   -   -        -   -   -        -   -    [W]
    16                -   -   -                 [W]
    17                -   +   -                 [W]
    18                -   -   -                 [W]
    19   -   -        -   -   -        -   -    [W] [E]
    20   -   -        -   -   -        -   -    [W] [E]
    21   -   +        -   -   -        -   -    [W]
    22   -   -        -   +   +        -   -    [W]
    23   -   -        +   +   +        +   -    [W]
    24   -   -        +   +   +        +   -    [W]
    25   -   -        +   +   +        +   +    [W]
    26   +   +        +   +   +        +   -    [W]
    27   -   -        +   +   +        +   -    
    28   -   -        +   +   +        +   -    
    29   -   +        +   +   +        -   -    
    30   +   +        +   +   +        +   -    
    31   +   +        +   +   +        -   -    
    32   +   +        +   +   +        -   -    
    33   +   +        +   +   +        +   +    
    34   +   +        +   +   +        +   -    
    35   +   +        +   +   +        +   +    
    36   +   +        +   +   +        +   +    
    37   +   +        +   +   +        +   +    
    38   +   +        +   +   +        +   +    
    39   -   +        +   +   +        +   +    
    40   -   -        -   -   -        -   -    

[+] Available     [W] Wing       [L] Lavatory  
    [-] Unavailable   [E] Exit Row   [U] Upper Deck
    [P] Preferred                                  

12. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see my problem now. The Y seatmap works but not the C seatmap. I didn't realize for LA (and probably numerous other carriers) I have to specify "Other Class" and pick J.

That's probably documented. it's just not something I would think to review documentation for since I know some airline seatmaps can't be viewed and I assumed LA was one of them.

In any case, on my travel date, LA532 EZE-JFK shows the same seatmap availability I get on LAN.com. Guess I'll call them tomorrow.

13. KVS Tool

Status Points:
    Please see the reply in the KVS Tool: LA Seat Maps Thread.

14. Misterstuf
    Original Member

Misterstuf Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm actually having a similar issue with LAN. I used BA Avios to book LA 532 in J (for the same EZE-JFK flight stopping in SCL with same flight number) and I'm able to get my flight info on the LAN website with my BA booking number, and I can choose seats for all other legs of my trip, but the EZE - JFK leg was giving me a "not available at this time" error some days and then other days it would behave just like you described. I called LAN about this is they said that they couldn't assign seats either and it's because my flight is more than one month out and I should try again at the beginning of next month. Is it possible that I can't choose seats because this is a two leg flight?

One other question for you ArizonaGuy. If you already took your flight, could you tell me the procedure once you arrive in Santiago? I was assured by the LAN agent on the phone that I wouldn't need to deplane, but frankly I don't believe that and wanted to know if I'll have to pass through immigration and security in SCL or just security (liquids, etc.). Any info you have on that would be greatly appreciated.