Lamest "Special Deals" ever...

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Jul 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed that recently, both the website and the spam emails about "Special Deals" are totally void of anything about why the fares are so "special". No pricing. No dates/times for when the specials are good for.

For instance United.com has two "special" International Air Deals and they even specify that:

Problem is no fares are shown. At all.

And if you click on each of the two offerings, there are no specifics on when these "special fares" are available/valid for.

It is really puzzling why they would bother to promote something as special, but be totally lacking with information on why it is special.

hulagrrl210 and savydog like this.
  2. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    This has been going on for a while now. Even though these "sale fares" at times weren't really that much of a sale, it's very frustrating. It seems like the marketing/web folk at UA have just given up on anything related to their website.

savydog likes this.
  3. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this goes back to one of the marketing gimmicks companies try on unassuming consumers... the non-deal deal. If they send out 10 million emails out and can only convert a handful of them, they still succeed in generating revenue that they would have been unlikely for a very minimal investment.

The practice is unlikely to stop until it becomes unprofitable or companies receive enough negative press.

savydog likes this.
  4. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now, if United resumes some of its special Twitter fares as it did last year, some of them actually were 'special.' (I got a great fare for a mileage run LAX-SYD).

savydog likes this.
  5. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know why they offer :sale fares" without informing customers of the price. This is just stupid and lame. Is it a function of United's great IT prowess?

JLSocks likes this.
  6. aanswer

aanswer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ditto. That was a great fare. Even better from NYC. :)

7. travelinmike33
    Original Member

travelinmike33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This should be fixed soon. I heard they signed up for Delta's webinar :D

Million Mile Secrets likes this.