Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas: Great spot for scenery and exercise in Rio de Janeiro

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by jbcarioca, Aug 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lagoa, as it is known, is a very popular place for Carioca relaxation. Few tourists seem to venture there but it is hidden in plain sight, surrounded by all of Zona Sul (Leblon, Ipanema, Copacabana- just over Cantagalo), Humaita/Botafogo, Jardim Botânico). It is a lagoon connected to Rio's bay, Guanabara.

Lagoa is full of people exercising at most hours, walking, running, skateboarding, bicycling. There are numerous tennis courts, soccer pitches, skateboard courts, exercise machines as well as a two lane paved walkway, 7.5 km long, that surrounds Lagoa, and has distance markings in both directions every 100 meters around the entire circumference. At almost all hours there are police patrols, often in small scooters, sometimes on Bicycles and on foot. There are also nearly always 20 or more workers from Comlurb cleaning up the leaves, seaweed and other detritus from the lagoon. Recently the city began a daily patrol to monitor conditions of the facilities and promises 24 hour repairs. So far it is working. There are restaurants in two areas of the park and kiosks serving soft drinks and iced coconut all around the lagoon.

Lastly, and very popular are three area equipped with playgrounds for young children. They are full of small kids from early morning until early evening most days, stuffed on weekends and holidays. There are always lots of strollers, including the large wheeled ones used by parents as they jog along around the lagoon. People of every age and type are active there, including many firemen, policemen and military, recognisable because of their T-shirts and disciplined running. From practicing marathoners to people in their 90's, everyone meets at Lagoa.

I may sound partial to the place. I walk around it every day when I am at home.

On the subsequent posts I will show photos of several of the facilities I have mentioned here.

2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lagoa is in Brazil, so a pickup game of futebol cannot be far away. There are multiple facilities around Lagoa, including one designed for very small children to learn the game. They are all busy, especially on evenings and weekends
    Typical day, typical game Lagoa.jpg

If you've a family and you want to go all around Lagoa, rental vehicles await:
    rental transport lagoa.jpg
    If you preference is more naval, the family can still join in:
    Rental swans and Ducks Lagoa.jpg

anileze, OY-JFS and kellio like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some people have a slightly more exotic and aviation oriented solution in mid, and Lagoa can accommodate (I am torn about whetehr to post these or not, they all pass over my house as they circle Corcovado:
    You'll fly in a nicer, larger one than this. This is a "low end" turbine for people who have tight budgets.:rolleyes:
    Low class helicopter Lagoa.jpg
    The options for scenic flights are these:
    sightseeing route words.jpg
    commercial heliport office.jpg
    Entering this office will allow you to pay, and have a meal or snack in the adjoining restaurant.

Attached Files:

4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    A very popular sport in Lagoa is Rowing. Three of the major soccer clubs are also Regatta clubs. Flamengo, Botafogo and Vasco all have rowing facilities and teams, as well as training for other people.
    This is the Flamengo training pool:
    Flamengo practice rowing pool.jpg
    And here is a team rowing on the other side of Lagoa, near the Vasco team facility:
    Ramo lagoa.jpg
    There seem to be no formal arrangements for foreigners to join in rowing, but I have observed several people being invited in.
    Besides these three rowing teams there are other ones attached to the Clube Naval and military facilities also.

anileze, OY-JFS, kellio and 1 other person like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Children are treated with enormous care in brazil, and Lagoa is no exception:
    for the children.jpg
    for the children 2.jpg
    Clube dos Caiçaras, possibly the most luxurious private club in Lagoa, shows a sense of whimsy in transportation to the island that delights children and everyone. The distance markers around Lagoa begin and end here.
    transport to private club.jpg

anileze, OY-JFS, kellio and 1 other person like this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many of the advertising signs around Lagoa, and some on beaches too, have a mister built in, which is a blessing on hot sunny days:
    Solution for overheating Lagoa.jpg
    girls discovering refreshing mist.jpg
    Old people are not forgotten either. This facility was built expressly for people of 'terceira idade" or third age.
    exercise for terceira idade.jpg

7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The refreshment kiosks do a rapid business, especially on weekends and holidays
    : refreshment kiosks.jpg
    There are restaurants of various types all around. This one, Arab da Lagoa, is usually packed around mealtimes. This photo was taken at 11 AM.
    Lagoa restaurant 11 AM.jpg
    If you want something seriously upscale Lagoon has what you need. It has panoramic views of Lagoa, five restaurants, all branches of high end eateries, a well stocked huge bar with panoramic views, another big bar on the ground floor and a cinema. too.

Attached Files:

8. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the '80s and '90s, I remember my local friends going to Niteroi on weekends. Is it now passe ?

My fondest memories of my favorite activity was sit with a "bucket" of Frango Passarinho and beer and watch people playing by the beach. The waiters only came by to check if the beer bottle was empty - No hard sell :D

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Niteroi is still a popular place with many people. All the usual weekend places are more popular than ever; Petropolis, Buzios, Teresopolis etc. Places such as Lagoa are mostly for residents except for the famous Christmas tree, regarding which I'll make the usual annual thread as soon as this year's tree is unveiled sometime around a month or so from now.

OY-JFS and anileze like this.
  10. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    They were still working on this the other day when I jogged around Lagoa...

jbcarioca likes this.