Ladies... what type of shoe do you fly in?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Crush627, May 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I see them all in the line for security, although I am curious...

For the ladies who are FFs... what type of shoe do you prefer to fly in? If a slip on, do you wear socks (or those little no-show stocking things)?

Thoughts on walking barefoot through the scanner?

2. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the time of year. :)

Winter - gym shoes or boots. Summer - flip flops.

3. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Always ballet flats. Easy to slip on/off, comfortable, closed heal/toe (just in case anything happens!), I can run in them, go to the client/dinner/whatever in them. Sometimes with hose, sometimes without. I am of the belief that you really won't pick much up walking through security. I know people talk about gettin staph or athlete's foot or whatever. I just don't think the probability of picking anything up is THAT high. But I also walk barefoot at home, the beach, occasionally on the golf course (Sam Snead style)....

4. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here. I count down the days until flip flop season.

5. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    slice19 likes this.
  6. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wear a slip-on sandal, and good lord NO socks with those. I carry fuzzy socks in my carry-on to wear on the plane.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  7. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I prefer to fly in planes...but I wear comfortable flats :)

kayet, MissBurrill, rwoman and 6 others like this.
  8. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Warm socks are a must for on the plane!

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  9. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most of the time: gym shoes, with soft knee socks that stay down at the ankle unless needed to be pulled up, for a cool temps on the plane.
    Occasionally: Good fitting sandles, with arch support - with the same socks for varying plane temps.

Freddie Listo and Fox like this.
  10. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flats. Because I am diabetic, I bring sockies to go through Security with because you just never know. Also, after take off I put the socks on if I remove my shoes.

11. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.bornshoes.com/Category.aspx?GenderID=8&CatID=140&PageNo=1&SortType=P
    http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4197028

I always wear pants or jeans when I fly, so I wear slip-on clog-style shoes with socks. Easy to take off at security, easy to put on, no bare feet on nasty surfaces. I'm likely to take them off on the plane if my flight is longer than an hour.

The Dansko shoes were actually recommended to me by an AA flight attendant. FAs can wear them as uniform shoes. They are really comfortable if you stand or walk a lot.

gomike and jmrich1432 like this.
  12. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife typically wears sneakers at the airport. Definitely good to wear comfortable shoes when traveling with kids. She doesn't really travel on her own otherwise, but I'm pretty sure she'd still stick to sneakers. She's all about comfort, and hates heels. She also has a nice pair of Born clogs she likes to wear.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  13. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ballet flats here, too. Used to wear Crocs, but when I thought of safety and fires, started to wear them less on planes. Sometimes wear the hoisery foot liners, sometimes not. Don't worry too much about walking through in bare feet.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  14. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remind me not to get behind your wife in the security line! This reminds me, I really should look at the shoes when picking which line to get in. ;-)

jmrich1432 likes this.
  15. ShopAround
    Original Member

ShopAround Silver Member

Status Points:
    My usual travel footwear: thick-soled Prada flats and anklets from Marks and Spencer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jmrich1432 likes this.
  16. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have arthritis in my feet so I have to wear excellent support shoes (like Easy Spirit Walkers) all of the time, so I can save my feet for fancy shoes on the dance floor. It's a trade off.

In the summer I sometimes wear Easy Spirit sandals, but the style that works the best is no longer made and my old ones are wearing out. So sad. :(

Concerto likes this.
  17. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ballet flats, with or without thin socks depending on the season.

18. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't get it. Is it because of kids or the sneakers? :confused: She's nothing if not efficient. She hates slow people. :p

19. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can get tennies off quickly if you're efficient. However, I find the issue of efficiency (or lack thereof) affects people far beyond their shoe choice. Just because someone has sandals on doesn't mean they will move quickly through security!!!

For the ladies that favor ballet flats I have to recommend anything by Cole Haan with Nike Air. To me, these are the most comfortable shoes on the planet.

Current faves are the Air Olivia Lace in Python... Black is so tired.

20. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wear slip ons, sometimes crocs, sometimes my dressier shoe that is still a slip on loafer type, all with socks. I hate having to wear my steel toed boots because they lace up and the top is an eyelet unlike the mens style that is a slip on catch which is much quicker to retie or untie.

21. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Clogs of some sort, always. I live in the blessed things, and appreciate the rapidity whith which I may doff and don them whilst caught-up within the security carnival.

22. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    you mean like this?! :eek:

MissBurrill and Freddie Listo like this.
  23. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    For leisure travel, I love my Keene sandals (which slip off and are wearable without pulling the lace tight, so can be put back on rapidly). I wear them with socks, because the thought of bare feet on airport floors is squicky.

For business travel, I am generally wearing either pumps or mary janes (which fasten with velcro) and nylons, as I need to look professional. That also applies when flying back early Monday morning from a weekend away, when I am heading straight from the airport to my office.

24. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel your pain because I, too, have arthritis in my feet. Over the years, I have tried on hundreds of pairs of shoes and wasted thousands of dollars on footwear that feels good in the store but just doesn't make the grade when I am travelling. :( I literally struggle with the "comfortable shoes issue" on a daily basis and envy those who can wear flip flops or clogs or any other type of slip-on. My feet are so narrow that it is almost impossible for me to wear them...

25. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have trouble finding comfortable shoes - I have duck-shaped feet that are incredibly wide at the toes and narrow at the heels, and I wear orthotic inserts. :( But luckily no arthritis yet.

No looks of disgust, but I usually scoot around people who are taking a long time with their shoes or bags. If I calculate that I can be through the scanner before they will be ready, then I think it speeds up the line for everyone.

gomike likes this.