Lacks of OneWorld benefits on some BA fares

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by slalom, May 20, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    On a round Europe trip I booked a flight from AMS to LHR through the BA web site.

I booked the lowest cost flight. Higher cost options included increased baggage allowance. I assumed that as an AA EP/Emerald I'd be entitled to a free checked bag.

When I did my on-line check-in, I was prompted to pay for bags. I called the EP desk to make sure my status was correctly set, which it was, and they connected me to the BA "crossover" desk to confirm my entitlement to free checked bags as an emerald flyer (which they did). They were unable to change my check-in to include a free checked bag (I think emeralds get 2, but I only needed 1), but assured me they would fix it at AMS when I checked in.

At AMS, I was informed by the BA agent that I'd purchased a "handbag only" ticket and was not able to check a free bag. I pointed out my status, and that their web site indicated emeralds were entitled to additional free checked bags (so ticket gets you "0", I should be entitled to 1 as an emerald). They refused and after some discussion, I paid a €75 fee for my bag. At online checkin that would have been €50.

Just wanted to post as a warning, particularly since my qualification for a free bag had been confirmed by BA on the phone.

If your ticket is "handbag only" (and I have no recollection of seeing this, only that I didn't want to pay the up charge to check a bag when I booked the flight) Emerald baggage privileges don't apply.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the correct application of the rules for HBO fares. Similar applies on most *A HBO fares, too, FWIW.

zpaul and slalom like this.
  3. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm ok with that, but it wasn't clear when I booked the ticket, nor when I spoke to BA the day before flying. If they had give me correct info, I could have save €25.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like you were speaking to AA, not BA. While it would be nice for AA to know the partner carrier's rules I'm not all that surprised they don't.

ETA: Oneworld calls out the HBO rule on its website:
    On the AA site the mention of extra baggage allowance provides details specifically only for AA metal, "Total of 3 bags on American."

The BA site also explicitly mentions that HBO fares are excluded.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    slalom likes this.
  5. HKGExpat

HKGExpat Active Member

Status Points:
    This is a slippery slope in my opinion. Once ad hoc rules for individual fares start negating the partner carrier benefits, massive devaluation can easily ensue. If OneWorld wants to give itself a clear competitive advantage, they should make it clear in solidarity that elite status benefits ALWAYS trump fare rules that would ordinarily apply to non-elites. This is especially true now that qualification is becoming increasingly revenue based anyway.

slalom and zpaul like this.
  6. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called the AA EP desk and they connected me to BA, so I was in fact speaking with a BA rep who had full access to my PNR.

7. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...I agree...it doesn't make intuitive sense that I should have to pay extra to get the benefit. If the benefit is +1 free bag over the allowance, and the allowance is "0", i should be allowed to check one bag.

If I have to pay more to get 1 free bag, it isn't really free.

8. customdirect

customdirect Active Member

Status Points:
    Oneworld is not the only alliance that can not seem to provide uniform elite benefits across its airline members. I am traveling on a *A business class award as a UA 1K/*Gold member. Business class is not offered on the second segment on Aer Lingus metal. In spite of my status, I had to pay IE $15.00 pp for advance seat assignments in the single class cabin (I am sure IE Star gold members have access to Economy plus on UA which is an "upgraded product", particularly with an I class ticket). We did not discuss luggage but since my originating flight is on UA, at least I will (likely) not get dinged on our bags.

This is not best practice for either alliance and not good for business as well.

9. UncleDude

UncleDude Active Member

Status Points:
    At least OneWorld give award access in First Class [although sometimes limited] Unlike Star where Lufthansa and Singapore Airlines..do their own thing. Also various Star Airlines i.e Thai also restrict First Class Lounge access to Top Tier Star Members.